[Accepted with Revision] SE-0080: Failable Numeric Conversion Initializers

Proposal link: swift-evolution/0080-failable-numeric-initializers.md at master · apple/swift-evolution · GitHub

Hello Swift Community,

The review of SE-0080: "Failable Numeric Conversion Initializers" ran from May 3…9, 2016. The proposal is *Accepted with Revision* for Swift 3.

The feedback on the proposal from the community and the core team was universally positive, and the new initializers on the primitive integer and floating point types have been approved. However, swift-evolution isn’t the right mechanism to propose extensions to Foundation types, so the extensions that adds conversions from NSNumber and to Foundation types should be subset out of the proposal.

Thank you to Matthew Johnson for driving this discussion. I filed SR-1491 to track this work, it would be a great starter bug.

-Chris Lattner
Review Manager

Proposal link: https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0080-failable-numeric-initializers.md

Hello Swift Community,

The review of SE-0080: "Failable Numeric Conversion Initializers" ran from May 3…9, 2016. The proposal is *Accepted with Revision* for Swift 3.

The feedback on the proposal from the community and the core team was universally positive, and the new initializers on the primitive integer and floating point types have been approved. However, swift-evolution isn’t the right mechanism to propose extensions to Foundation types, so the extensions that adds conversions from NSNumber and to Foundation types should be subset out of the proposal.

Thank you to Matthew Johnson for driving this discussion. I filed SR-1491 to track this work, it would be a great starter bug.

Thanks Chris. Is there a mechanism for the community to propose extensions to Foundation types? I was under the impression that swift-evolution was the mechanism for proposing changes to any public Swift API including corelibs.

-Matthew

···

Sent from my iPad

On May 11, 2016, at 6:01 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner@apple.com> wrote:

-Chris Lattner
Review Manager

At the moment, there isn’t other than filing a radar on bugreporter.apple.com. This is a bit of a procedural issue, because corelibs foundation is currently scoped to a direct reimplementation of the existing Foundation APIs. This may improve in the future, but right now everyone is pretty occupied with high priority stuff.

That said, the Foundation team is aware of this proposal already.

-Chris

···

On May 11, 2016, at 4:18 PM, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Thanks Chris. Is there a mechanism for the community to propose extensions to Foundation types? I was under the impression that swift-evolution was the mechanism for proposing changes to any public Swift API including corelibs.