[Accepted] SE-0131: Add AnyHashable to the standard library

Proposal Link: swift-evolution/0131-anyhashable.md at master · apple/swift-evolution · GitHub

The review of "SE-0131: Add AnyHashable to the standard library" ran from Active review July 23…25. The proposal has been *accepted*.

The feedback on this proposal was quite positive. A few questions were raised, but were answered on-thread. Thank you to Dmitri Gribenko for writing this proposal and driving this discussion forward.

-Chris Lattner
Review Manager

Proposal Link: https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0131-anyhashable.md

The review of "SE-0131: Add AnyHashable to the standard library" ran from Active review July 23…25. The proposal has been *accepted*.

The feedback on this proposal was quite positive. A few questions were raised, but were answered on-thread. Thank you to Dmitri Gribenko for writing this proposal and driving this discussion forward.

-Chris Lattner
Review Manager

I didn’t get an answer about making the wrapping implicit. Is something like that at all possible?

When I look at the changes required, this looks like a massive readability regression - especially given that AnyHashable is pretty much a hack around incomplete existential support anyway:

let _ = NSError(domain: "myDomain", code: 4,
- userInfo: ["a":1,"b":2,"c":3])
+ userInfo: [AnyHashable("a"):1,
+ AnyHashable("b"):2,
+ AnyHashable("c"):3])

The proposal itself claims that "AnyHashable itself is additive. Source-breaking changes are discussed in SE-0116.”, but that is not true. I don’t see any discussion of these source-breaking changes in SE-0116 - which in fact delegates discussion of the specific AnyHashable design back to this proposal.

Karl

···

On 26 Jul 2016, at 19:52, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote: