Xcode support for Swift Package Manager


(Nabeel Imtiaz) #1

Is it possible to use Xcode along with the Package Manager support?

This is much needed for a large code-base with a lot of dependencies on ext libs. I just tried to use Xcode 7.2 beta (following the instructions on swift.org) but haven’t been able to use Package Manager though.

Nabeel


(Rick Ballard) #2

Hi Nabeel,

The Package Manager is still an early-stage project and is not yet supported by Xcode. One of our near-term goals for the Package Manager is to move to a library-based architecture to allow for IDE integration; you can read about this goal at https://github.com/apple/swift-package-manager/blob/master/Documentation/PackageManagerCommunityProposal.md#library-based-architecture. We are planning to add great support for the Package Manager to Xcode. As Xcode is not part of the open source release, we don't plan to pre-announce a timeline or specific details of that Xcode support until we're ready to provide a beta version of Xcode that has it. We understand that this support is very important to our developer community.

Thank you,

  - Rick

···

On Dec 4, 2015, at 8:41 AM, Nabeel Imtiaz <nimtiazm@gmail.com> wrote:

Is it possible to use Xcode along with the Package Manager support?

This is much needed for a large code-base with a lot of dependencies on ext libs. I just tried to use Xcode 7.2 beta (following the instructions on swift.org) but haven’t been able to use Package Manager though.


(Nabeel Imtiaz) #3

Got it.

Meanwhile, also supporting emacs/vim through something like ctags would be great. Symbols' list and jump-to-definition would suffice initially.

Thanks.
Nabeel

···

On Dec 4, 2015, at 9:28 PM, Rick Ballard <rballard@apple.com> wrote:

On Dec 4, 2015, at 8:41 AM, Nabeel Imtiaz <nimtiazm@gmail.com> wrote:

Is it possible to use Xcode along with the Package Manager support?

This is much needed for a large code-base with a lot of dependencies on ext libs. I just tried to use Xcode 7.2 beta (following the instructions on swift.org) but haven’t been able to use Package Manager though.

Hi Nabeel,

The Package Manager is still an early-stage project and is not yet supported by Xcode. One of our near-term goals for the Package Manager is to move to a library-based architecture to allow for IDE integration; you can read about this goal at https://github.com/apple/swift-package-manager/blob/master/Documentation/PackageManagerCommunityProposal.md#library-based-architecture. We are planning to add great support for the Package Manager to Xcode. As Xcode is not part of the open source release, we don't plan to pre-announce a timeline or specific details of that Xcode support until we're ready to provide a beta version of Xcode that has it. We understand that this support is very important to our developer community.

Thank you,

  - Rick


(Daniel Dunbar) #4

Hi Nabeel,

Those are interesting ideas -- I'm not sure what it would take to use ctags with Swift, but you might consider taking a look at the SourceKit code in the Swift repository (tools/SourceKit). You might be able to leverage SourceKit's APIs to get the necessary information, and then it would be a matter of integrating this support into the package manager to provide the relevant files.

- Daniel

···

On Dec 4, 2015, at 10:14 AM, Nabeel Imtiaz <nimtiazm@gmail.com> wrote:

Got it.

Meanwhile, also supporting emacs/vim through something like ctags would be great. Symbols' list and jump-to-definition would suffice initially.

Thanks.
Nabeel

On Dec 4, 2015, at 9:28 PM, Rick Ballard <rballard@apple.com> wrote:

On Dec 4, 2015, at 8:41 AM, Nabeel Imtiaz <nimtiazm@gmail.com> wrote:

Is it possible to use Xcode along with the Package Manager support?

This is much needed for a large code-base with a lot of dependencies on ext libs. I just tried to use Xcode 7.2 beta (following the instructions on swift.org) but haven’t been able to use Package Manager though.

Hi Nabeel,

The Package Manager is still an early-stage project and is not yet supported by Xcode. One of our near-term goals for the Package Manager is to move to a library-based architecture to allow for IDE integration; you can read about this goal at https://github.com/apple/swift-package-manager/blob/master/Documentation/PackageManagerCommunityProposal.md#library-based-architecture. We are planning to add great support for the Package Manager to Xcode. As Xcode is not part of the open source release, we don't plan to pre-announce a timeline or specific details of that Xcode support until we're ready to provide a beta version of Xcode that has it. We understand that this support is very important to our developer community.

Thank you,

  - Rick

_______________________________________________
swift-users mailing list
swift-users@swift.org
https://lists.swift.org/mailman/listinfo/swift-users