Working with const char** with Swift 3

Hi all-

So I've been working on this for hours and I'm just stuck. In C I'd write something like:

const char* a_string_array = {"aloha", "world", "from beautiful Waikiki Beach"};
haveFun(a_string_array);

and haveFun is:

void haveFun(const char** data) {
     printf("%s\n", data[0]);
     printf("%s\n", data[1]);
     printf("%s\n", data[2]);
}

So I'm trying to do something similar in Swift 3-REL (working in Linux) and the best I've been able to come up with is:

func haveSwiftFun(data: Optional<UnsafeMutablePointer<Optional<UnsafePointer<Int8>>>>, count:UInt32) {
  for _ in 0...count {
           if let parm = params?.pointee! {
               let tempBuf = String(cString: (UnsafePointer<Int8>(parm)!))
          print(tempBuf)
           }
       }
}

But I'm not actually iterating through the array, I'm just getting the first element count times.

I've been all over the usual places on the web (SO, Apple Docs, etc.), and have cobbled together something like:

let buffer = UnsafeBufferPointer(start:(params?.pointee!)!, count:count)
let anArray = Array(buffer)

which gives me an [Int8], but I can't figure out how to get the actual char array from the anArray elements, with the hope of turning each element into its own String.

I'm feeling I've run off the rails here and am hoping somebody might have some info on how to properly deal with working with a const char** in Swift 3. I'm sure/not sure it'll be an obvious 'ah ha!' moment, but that moment seems very very far away. :(

Thanks for any help,

Ron

Hi Ron.

Not sure if you just want to have an array of Strings, and are working entirely in Swift. If so, you can just do

func haveSwiftFun(data :[String]?) {

for string in data {

print(string)
    }
}

If you’re looking to interface Swift with a C function that takes const char * const *, that is covered in this thread:

https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-users/Week-of-Mon-20160815/002956.html

-Kenny

···

On Sep 19, 2016, at 12:19, Ron Olson via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

Hi all-

So I've been working on this for hours and I'm just stuck. In C I'd write something like:

const char* a_string_array = {"aloha", "world", "from beautiful Waikiki Beach"};
haveFun(a_string_array);

and haveFun is:

void haveFun(const char** data) {
printf("%s\n", data[0]);
printf("%s\n", data[1]);
printf("%s\n", data[2]);
}

So I'm trying to do something similar in Swift 3-REL (working in Linux) and the best I've been able to come up with is:

func haveSwiftFun(data: Optional<UnsafeMutablePointer<Optional<UnsafePointer<Int8>>>>, count:UInt32) {
for _ in 0...count {
if let parm = params?.pointee! {
let tempBuf = String(cString: (UnsafePointer<Int8>(parm)!))
print(tempBuf)
}
}
}

But I'm not actually iterating through the array, I'm just getting the first element count times.

I've been all over the usual places on the web (SO, Apple Docs, etc.), and have cobbled together something like:

let buffer = UnsafeBufferPointer(start:(params?.pointee!)!, count:count)
let anArray = Array(buffer)

which gives me an [Int8], but I can't figure out how to get the actual char array from the anArray elements, with the hope of turning each element into its own String.

I'm feeling I've run off the rails here and am hoping somebody might have some info on how to properly deal with working with a const char** in Swift 3. I'm sure/not sure it'll be an obvious 'ah ha!' moment, but that moment seems very very far away. :(

Thanks for any help,

Ron