Will print statements hamper performance in final compiled product?

I use a lot of print statements for various diagnostic reasons while developing. Should I go and comment them all out for a final compiled product that is performance critical?

Like with every performance question: profile it.

"Should I go and comment them all out for a final compiled product" nope. Depending on how many there, that would take a really long time, and in any case would be a waste of your time.

Instead, using a logging framework, that lets you set log levels by class/subsystem/etc. In prod, you can have all higher log levels (e.g. error, warn) be logged, but not lower ones (like info and verbose).

Also more generally, learn to use a debugger, and you'll notice you'll have much less need for copious log statements.

Perhaps I should not have used the word "diagnostic" as I did not mean to give the impression that I use the "print" statement for debugging. Of course for the purpose of dubugging I use xcode's built in debugger. I use the print statement to report certain milestones as my app launches. In any case my hunch is that any print statements are ignored when producing a binary but I'm not 100% sure. I do take your point about profiling and I will try to do that.

print(...) is (primarily) for sending stuff to standard output. This is absolutely necessary even in release builds for command line tools. Nothing will optimize it away. (Even a GUI application can be launched in such a way that the standard output is displayed.)

That is why @AlexanderM advised you to look into using a logging library instead for that sort of thing.

3 Likes
Terms of Service

Privacy Policy

Cookie Policy