Whats the consequence of asking SwiftUI questions in this forum?

Sorry, maybe it's just me, but in context, I find this question very strange. This is the third thread in the past few days which you've been involved in revolving around the discussion of SwiftUI being off-topic for these forums:

1. Ban SwiftUI related questions
  2. What code can be used as the pure swift (not swiftUI) as a user-interface?
  3. Whats the consequence of asking SwiftUI questions in this forum?

I think it's been pretty well-covered that SwiftUI questions are undesired here, purely because they're not the focus of discussion for these forums. If that's the case, and you're well aware of it... what does it matter what happens if you keep asking? If a community asks you to not do <x>, instead of asking "well, what happens if I keep doing <x> anyway?"... wouldn't you just rather be respectful of the request and not do <x>?

It feels to me that you're fishing for some sort of response across these threads — either in complete support ("yes, we should be allowed to ask SwiftUI questions here"), or on the opposite end, something more vitriolic — which I don't think you're going to get here. Most members don't have strong opinions about SwiftUI questions: they're simply off-topic. Discussion is happening elsewhere.

Like @sveinhal says, you may still get answers to those questions (suboptimally), but most often you're simply going to be told that the questions are off-topic. Swift has a Code of Conduct which covers the forums too; off-topic questions aren't against the code of conduct in any way (unless you troll with them, or start spamming them), but they're largely just a waste of time and effort — both for you, the folks responding, and forum moderators.

Instead, why not invest that time and effort in a community which openly welcomes these questions? You mention not wanting to ask on StackExchange, and that you feel that the Apple Dev Forums aren't helpful, and that's alright; there are other communities out there.

1. /r/SwiftUI on Reddit focuses around SwiftUI exclusively, and folks ask and answer SwiftUI questions all day there
  2. /r/iOSProgramming also on Reddit focuses around iOS programming in general, but plenty of SwiftUI questions come up all the time
  3. /r/Swift focuses on Swift the language primarily, but SwiftUI questions do come up occasionally, and you may be pointed toward other resources on there
  4. Across all of these communities, I've seen mention over time of dedicated Discord servers where folks get together to discuss these topics

This is off the top of my head, and I don't use SwiftUI, or participate with SwiftUI discussions there or elsewhere; I'm positive that further searching online can get you what you're looking for.

Regardless, wishing you luck in finding the answers to your questions, one way or another.

25 Likes