Tuple accessor shorthand

(Alexandre Lopoukhine) #1

Hello everyone,

To tie into the discussion of shorthands for “map", here’s something that I think is worth considering:

Skipping the motivation (mostly, I’m on a mission to eliminate the $ character in my functional code), here’s a function definition:

func first<A,B>(tuple: (A,B)) -> A {
    return tuple.0
}

Having functions like this transforms

pairArray.map({$0.0})

into

pairArray.map(first)

This is not ideal, as it pollutes the global space, and there would need to be tons of those for various tuple sizes.

Here’s an alternative:

pairArray.map(().0)

I think that this makes the intent pretty clear, as well as non-conflicting with anything in the language.

What do you all think?

— Sasha

(Matthew Johnson) #2

This is already possible today. You just need to write overloads for tuples of up to n members. Are you asking for this to be a library feature?

···

On Dec 18, 2015, at 9:30 AM, Alexandre Lopoukhine via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Hello everyone,

To tie into the discussion of shorthands for “map", here’s something that I think is worth considering:

Skipping the motivation (mostly, I’m on a mission to eliminate the $ character in my functional code), here’s a function definition:

return tuple.0
}

pairArray.map({$0.0})

into

pairArray.map(first)

This is not ideal, as it pollutes the global space, and there would need to be tons of those for various tuple sizes.

Here’s an alternative:

pairArray.map(().0)

I think that this makes the intent pretty clear, as well as non-conflicting with anything in the language.

What do you all think?

— Sasha

(Félix Cloutier) #3

To consider: the empty tuple expression is currently legal and represents the void value.

···

Le 18 déc. 2015 à 10:30:57, Alexandre Lopoukhine via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> a écrit :

Hello everyone,

return tuple.0
}

pairArray.map({$0.0})

into

pairArray.map(first)

Here’s an alternative:

pairArray.map(().0)

What do you all think?

— Sasha

(Alexandre Lopoukhine) #4

Oh, you’re right. The first options I considered were either a global function or a new Tuple class/struct with a bunch of these methods built in, which seemed less elegant but I guess are now the only possibility.

— Sasha

···

On 18 Dec 2015, at 16:36, Félix Cloutier <felixcca@yahoo.ca> wrote:

To consider: the empty tuple expression is currently legal and represents the void value.

Le 18 déc. 2015 à 10:30:57, Alexandre Lopoukhine via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> a écrit :

Hello everyone,

return tuple.0
}

pairArray.map({$0.0})

into

pairArray.map(first)

Here’s an alternative:

pairArray.map(().0)

What do you all think?

— Sasha

(Alexandre Lopoukhine) #5

Matthew,

What I’m thinking about would be a true equivalent of the closure syntax, where the following:

{$0.0.1.2} becomes

Tuple.0.1.2

I’m not aware of this being achievable at the language level today.

— Sasha

···

On 18 Dec 2015, at 16:34, Matthew Johnson <matthew@anandabits.com> wrote:

This is already possible today. You just need to write overloads for tuples of up to n members. Are you asking for this to be a library feature?

On Dec 18, 2015, at 9:30 AM, Alexandre Lopoukhine via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Hello everyone,

return tuple.0
}

pairArray.map({$0.0})

into

pairArray.map(first)

Here’s an alternative:

pairArray.map(().0)

What do you all think?

— Sasha

(Radek Pietruszewski) #6

I think this proposal: https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20151214/003373.html would also solve this problem

as you’d be able to do .map(.0), and AFAICT it will still be unambiguous.

— Radek

···

On 18 Dec 2015, at 16:30, Alexandre Lopoukhine via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Hello everyone,

return tuple.0
}

pairArray.map({$0.0})

into

pairArray.map(first)

Here’s an alternative:

pairArray.map(().0)

What do you all think?

— Sasha

(Matthew Johnson) #7

Sorry, I didn’t read your post carefully enough. You are correct, this is not possible.

If you need to dig 3 levels deep into a tuple you may have cases where structs would be more appropriate.

···

On Dec 18, 2015, at 10:01 AM, Alexandre Lopoukhine <superlopuh@gmail.com> wrote:

Matthew,

What I’m thinking about would be a true equivalent of the closure syntax, where the following:

{$0.0.1.2} becomes

Tuple.0.1.2

I’m not aware of this being achievable at the language level today.

— Sasha

On 18 Dec 2015, at 16:34, Matthew Johnson <matthew@anandabits.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,

return tuple.0
}

pairArray.map({$0.0})

into

pairArray.map(first)

Here’s an alternative:

pairArray.map(().0)

What do you all think?

— Sasha