TCA/modern architectures + Swift Concurrency

I’m wondering what the effect of the proposals around Swift concurrency will have on TCA? I know it obviously doesn’t have to but is there anything it could take advantage of e.g.: Reducers as concrete actors?

What follows may be an unfair assertion about Apple. Are there any insights from experience with the TCA, by people with an arguably better grasp on the architectural trends in the industry than Apple and certainly myself, that should be surfaced in the conversations about the proposals?

For example, if Redux-like architectures are the direction the industry is headed in, how much friction will we in the industry, with professional standards and pressures from our employers to write modular, composable and testable code, experience when we try to reconcile these architectures with using these concepts proposed by Apple that give so much safety and value for free?

3 Likes

"TCA"? I'm not familiar with that acronym.

TCA is "The Composable Architecture" and refers to Point-Free's swift-composable-architecture package. Probably the acronym is a nod to TEA, which stands for The Elm Architecture, one of the main inspirations for swift-composable-architecture.

1 Like

I think it's a lil early to say. Likely whatever impact these APIs have on Combine will be what influences any change to TCA. Will be interesting to see, though!

1 Like