Swift to participate in GSoC 2020!

I am thrilled to announced that Swift has been selected as a participating open source project in Google Summer of Code 2020!

What is Google Summer of Code?

Google Summer of Code (GSoC) is a yearly program sponsored by Google to encourage students to participate in open source development. Students work on a 3 month programming project with an open source organization during their break from university and receive a stipend. Participating students work with a mentor who shepherds their work and reviews their progress.

Student applications start on March 16, 2020

The official application to GSoC starts on March 16. Before then, we encourage all prospective participates to socialize their ideas on the respective Development forum categories. Please tag all posts with the GSoC 2020 tag so that they are easily discoverable by others (e.g., students and mentors) interested in GSoC.

There are several open project ideas available on Swift.org — but potential projects do not need to be restricted to these ideas. Regardless if you are looking into working on a suggested project or one of your own creation, you are strongly encouraged to engage on the forums before applications are accepted to help shape your idea and ensure a good alignment with a mentor.

Prospective Mentors

Several individuals have already volunteered to be mentors, but more mentors are welcome! If you have never mentored a GSoC project but are curious, it is not too late to volunteer! Please contact
@GSoC-admins (or email gsoc-admins at forums.swift.org) if you are interested, with “GSoC Mentor” in the subject line.

Key Dates

• March 16 - Applications open
  • March 31 - Deadline to file your application
  • April 27 - Accepted student proposals are announced
  • May 18 - Coding begins
21 Likes

If we’re proposing our own idea, does the idea need to have support from a mentor before the proposal phase, or would a mentor be assigned if the proposal is accepted?

It needs to have support from a mentor.

1 Like

Quick update, @compnerd volunteered to be a mentor for an "LTO support for Swift" project idea!

2 Likes

On a related note, what were the outcomes for the 2019 GSoC projects?

We had one successful project, see details in the 2019 archive.

I have some questions

1. Assuming its May18 and coding begins, is it like only 1 student is selected as a contributor for a project or can there be group of folks assigned to a project.
    (Though I have noticed that there is 1 contributor and a mentor for a project. I wanted to confirm this.)

2. In case only 1 student or a working professional(acc to 2022 rules) is assigned to a project. Can one individual apply to more than one project?

1. There cannot be "groups" assigned to projects. This is an individual mentorship program in a sense.
  2. You can apply to many... but I would strongly suggest picking a topic and deep diving into it, rather than trying to "get" various topics. One topic is hard enough to wrap your head around and it is important that the mentor feels that you have spent enough time and will be able to complete the specific project.
1 Like

Okay Thanks

1 Like