There would need to be some level of self-starting bar, which would need to
be supported by some documentation to read, and some simple tasks/tutorials
to complete (For example create a branch which removes an existing feature
and a tutorial to re-implement it, that touches a few key areas of the
code-base). The swift project and the evolution process would benefit by
having more potential implementors, so writing such documentation and
getting-started guides should be a high priority in order to help people
get more involved. Once complete, it would be great to choose a proposal,
find a mentor, and start work on it under their guidance.

I believe effort focused in this area will have a high return, given the
high quality and quantity of passion and talent I see in this list.

A Swift developer has actually started a blog series about the swift compiler. The links to his post were posted in one of the evolution topics a little while ago. The series is incomplete, but it gives a lot of explanations about the various parts of the swift compiler.

I wholeheartedly agree that a mentorship program would be extremely useful for helping others get up-to-speed with the swift compiler. I myself wished I understood it better. The only problem is that with something so large and complex, it would take a lot of time and effort to document and create a tutorial for it. I wish that this would happen, but I don’t know that anyone at Apple has the time and there probably aren’t very many people outside of apple with the know-how and time to write a tutorial as a hobby. I hope that I’m wrong though.

···

On Aug 14, 2017, at 2:35 PM, Jay Abbott via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

I think we should have some kind of mentorship program for the swift source. I'm confident that my following statement doesn't apply to just me:

"I'd love to get involved in the source a lot more, and my previous efforts to browse around and understand it a bit better have been thwarted by lack of time, a specific goal/direction, and no proper commitment (all my own failings of course). I'd be happy to learn the code and implement proposals, but I really want someone to turn to when I need some help and guidance."

In addition to the core team, I think there are a few others who know the code well enough, and who may be willing to mentor and share that knowledge further. Having a specific mentor makes it much easier to get to a level where you feel comfortable talking to the wider development community on swift-dev for example.

There would need to be some level of self-starting bar, which would need to be supported by some documentation to read, and some simple tasks/tutorials to complete (For example create a branch which removes an existing feature and a tutorial to re-implement it, that touches a few key areas of the code-base). The swift project and the evolution process would benefit by having more potential implementors, so writing such documentation and getting-started guides should be a high priority in order to help people get more involved. Once complete, it would be great to choose a proposal, find a mentor, and start work on it under their guidance.

I believe effort focused in this area will have a high return, given the high quality and quantity of passion and talent I see in this list.

I think that "we don't have time to implement this time-saving
project-accelerating quality-improving thing" is widely recognised as an
anti-pattern (or anti-process if that’s a thing) these days, and I’d hope
Apple would find a way to avoid this problem. :)

···

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 at 21:44 Jacob Williams <ponyboy47@gmail.com> wrote:

A Swift developer has actually started a blog series about the swift
compiler. The links to his post were posted in one of the evolution topics
a little while ago. The series is incomplete, but it gives a lot of
explanations about the various parts of the swift compiler.

The secret life of types in Swift | by Slava Pestov | Medium

How to talk to your kids about SIL type use | by Slava Pestov | Medium

I wholeheartedly agree that a mentorship program would be extremely useful
for helping others get up-to-speed with the swift compiler. I myself wished
I understood it better. The only problem is that with something so large
and complex, it would take a lot of time and effort to document and create
a tutorial for it. I wish that this would happen, but I don’t know that
anyone at Apple has the time and there probably aren’t very many people
outside of apple with the know-how and time to write a tutorial as a hobby.
I hope that I’m wrong though.

On Aug 14, 2017, at 2:35 PM, Jay Abbott via swift-evolution < > swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

I think we should have some kind of mentorship program for the swift
source. I'm confident that my following statement doesn't apply to just me:

"I'd love to get involved in the source a lot more, and my previous
efforts to browse around and understand it a bit better have been thwarted
by lack of time, a specific goal/direction, and no proper commitment (all
my own failings of course). I'd be happy to learn the code and implement
proposals, but I really want someone to turn to when I need some help and
guidance."

In addition to the core team, I think there are a few others who know the
code well enough, and who may be willing to mentor and share that knowledge
further. Having a specific mentor makes it much easier to get to a level
where you feel comfortable talking to the wider development community on
swift-dev for example.

There would need to be some level of self-starting bar, which would need
to be supported by some documentation to read, and some simple
tasks/tutorials to complete (For example create a branch which removes an
existing feature and a tutorial to re-implement it, that touches a few key
areas of the code-base). The swift project and the evolution process would
benefit by having more potential implementors, so writing such
documentation and getting-started guides should be a high priority in order
to help people get more involved. Once complete, it would be great to
choose a proposal, find a mentor, and start work on it under their guidance.

I believe effort focused in this area will have a high return, given the
high quality and quantity of passion and talent I see in this list.

If you have questions about contributing or get stuck, then head over the the swift-dev mailing list. That’s the best place to connect with others working on hacking on Swift itself.

-Chris

···

On Aug 14, 2017, at 1:55 PM, Jay Abbott via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

I think that "we don't have time to implement this time-saving project-accelerating quality-improving thing" is widely recognised as an anti-pattern (or anti-process if that’s a thing) these days, and I’d hope Apple would find a way to avoid this problem. :)

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 at 21:44 Jacob Williams <ponyboy47@gmail.com <mailto:ponyboy47@gmail.com>> wrote:
A Swift developer has actually started a blog series about the swift compiler. The links to his post were posted in one of the evolution topics a little while ago. The series is incomplete, but it gives a lot of explanations about the various parts of the swift compiler.

The secret life of types in Swift | by Slava Pestov | Medium
How to talk to your kids about SIL type use | by Slava Pestov | Medium

I wholeheartedly agree that a mentorship program would be extremely useful for helping others get up-to-speed with the swift compiler. I myself wished I understood it better. The only problem is that with something so large and complex, it would take a lot of time and effort to document and create a tutorial for it. I wish that this would happen, but I don’t know that anyone at Apple has the time and there probably aren’t very many people outside of apple with the know-how and time to write a tutorial as a hobby. I hope that I’m wrong though.

On Aug 14, 2017, at 2:35 PM, Jay Abbott via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> wrote:

I think we should have some kind of mentorship program for the swift source. I'm confident that my following statement doesn't apply to just me:

"I'd love to get involved in the source a lot more, and my previous efforts to browse around and understand it a bit better have been thwarted by lack of time, a specific goal/direction, and no proper commitment (all my own failings of course). I'd be happy to learn the code and implement proposals, but I really want someone to turn to when I need some help and guidance."

In addition to the core team, I think there are a few others who know the code well enough, and who may be willing to mentor and share that knowledge further. Having a specific mentor makes it much easier to get to a level where you feel comfortable talking to the wider development community on swift-dev for example.

There would need to be some level of self-starting bar, which would need to be supported by some documentation to read, and some simple tasks/tutorials to complete (For example create a branch which removes an existing feature and a tutorial to re-implement it, that touches a few key areas of the code-base). The swift project and the evolution process would benefit by having more potential implementors, so writing such documentation and getting-started guides should be a high priority in order to help people get more involved. Once complete, it would be great to choose a proposal, find a mentor, and start work on it under their guidance.

I believe effort focused in this area will have a high return, given the high quality and quantity of passion and talent I see in this list.

Is that mailing list an appropriate venue for questions about implementing features that haven't been accepted yet? I want to be respectful of everyone's time and not bombard them with off-topic questions while they're trying to get stuff done.

- Dave Sweeris

···

On Aug 16, 2017, at 3:18 PM, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

If you have questions about contributing or get stuck, then head over the the swift-dev mailing list. That’s the best place to connect with others working on hacking on Swift itself.

Yep, I think that’s the best place, since it relates to implementation concerns.

-Chris

···

On Aug 16, 2017, at 3:50 PM, David Sweeris <davesweeris@mac.com> wrote:

On Aug 16, 2017, at 3:18 PM, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Is that mailing list an appropriate venue for questions about implementing features that haven't been accepted yet? I want to be respectful of everyone's time and not bombard them with off-topic questions while they're trying to get stuff done.