swift_retainCount in CoreFoundation

For some reason I was not on this list;
So in response to your query about CF’s usage of CFGetRetainCount - I think we can safely forbid that function in the swift version since there is no safe way to use it (even CFMachPort is a bit dodgy for it’s usage).

It might take some surgery but I can probably excise that fairly simply.

···

On Dec 22, 2015, at 1:08 PM, Joe Groff via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org <https://lists.swift.org/mailman/listinfo/swift-dev&gt;&gt; wrote:

It looks like the corelibs implementation of CoreFoundation references swift_retainCount in order to implement CFGetRetainCount. Is getting the retain count necessary to CF functionality, or can these functions be removed?

That'd be awesome. Thanks Philippe! For CFMachPort's usage, since it's checking for a retainCount of 1, maybe we could use swift_isUniquelyReferenced* instead, which we do need to reliably support for COW.

-Joe

···

On Dec 25, 2015, at 9:02 PM, Philippe Hausler <phausler@apple.com> wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2015, at 1:08 PM, Joe Groff via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org <https://lists.swift.org/mailman/listinfo/swift-dev&gt;&gt; wrote:
>
> It looks like the corelibs implementation of CoreFoundation references swift_retainCount in order to implement CFGetRetainCount. Is getting the retain count necessary to CF functionality, or can these functions be removed?

So in response to your query about CF’s usage of CFGetRetainCount - I think we can safely forbid that function in the swift version since there is no safe way to use it (even CFMachPort is a bit dodgy for it’s usage).

Actually the method that was being used there is not even compiled on mac targets, I was able to safely excise the usage and disallow the function in the Swift version of CF.

I pushed this:

Which should no longer swift_retainCount in swift-corelibs-foundation builds anymore.

···

On Dec 26, 2015, at 12:31 PM, Joe Groff <jgroff@apple.com> wrote:

On Dec 25, 2015, at 9:02 PM, Philippe Hausler <phausler@apple.com <mailto:phausler@apple.com>> wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2015, at 1:08 PM, Joe Groff via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org <https://lists.swift.org/mailman/listinfo/swift-dev&gt;&gt; wrote:
>
> It looks like the corelibs implementation of CoreFoundation references swift_retainCount in order to implement CFGetRetainCount. Is getting the retain count necessary to CF functionality, or can these functions be removed?

That'd be awesome. Thanks Philippe! For CFMachPort's usage, since it's checking for a retainCount of 1, maybe we could use swift_isUniquelyReferenced* instead, which we do need to reliably support for COW.

-Joe

Nice, thanks again Philippe!

-Joe

···

On Dec 26, 2015, at 12:52 PM, Philippe Hausler <phausler@apple.com> wrote:

On Dec 26, 2015, at 12:31 PM, Joe Groff <jgroff@apple.com <mailto:jgroff@apple.com>> wrote:

On Dec 25, 2015, at 9:02 PM, Philippe Hausler <phausler@apple.com <mailto:phausler@apple.com>> wrote:

>

-Joe

Actually the method that was being used there is not even compiled on mac targets, I was able to safely excise the usage and disallow the function in the Swift version of CF.

I pushed this:
CFGetRetainCount should not be available in the swift version of CF/F… · apple/swift-corelibs-foundation@d430c06 · GitHub

Which should no longer swift_retainCount in swift-corelibs-foundation builds anymore.