"swift package describe" performs fetch

Hi everyone,

I would like to obtain detailed information about a package and all its dependencies in an automated fashion. At first I thought that the
two commands "swift package describe" and "swift package show-dependencies" are a perfect fit for that. More concretely,
I wanted to perform the following commands:

1. Execute the command "swift package fetch" to make sure that all dependencies are downloaded

2. Execute the command "swift package show-dependencies --format json" to obtain a description of
each package (i.e., name, path, etc.) as well as the dependency relationship between the packages.

3. For each package, do the following to obtain information about the modules in that package:
  cd path-of-package
  swift package describe --type json

However, if a package has dependencies, the command "swift package describe --type json" will perform another fetch.
I am not sure why this is necessary since the output of that command only contains information about the individual modules of
the package. Unfortunately, this means that the same dependencies are downloaded multiple times if a package's dependencies have
themselves further dependencies, which makes the process above quite slow. Is this a bug or is there another way to retrieve the same information?

Thanks and best regards
Toni

Hi Toni,

This looks like a bug, can you file a JIRA at bugs.swift.org?

···

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 9:10 PM, Toni Suter via swift-users < swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I would like to obtain detailed information about a package and all its
dependencies in an automated fashion. At first I thought that the
two commands "swift package describe" and "swift package show-dependencies"
are a perfect fit for that. More concretely,

1. Execute the command "swift package fetch" to make sure that all
dependencies are downloaded

2. Execute the command "swift package show-dependencies --format json" to
obtain a description of
each package (i.e., name, path, etc.) as well as the dependency
relationship between the packages.

3. For each package, do the following to obtain information about the
modules in that package:
cd path-of-package

However, if a package has dependencies, the command "swift package
describe --type json" will perform another fetch.
I am not sure why this is necessary since the output of that command only
contains information about the individual modules of
the package. Unfortunately, this means that the same dependencies are
downloaded multiple times if a package's dependencies have
themselves further dependencies, which makes the process above quite slow.
Is this a bug or is there another way to retrieve the same information?

Thanks and best regards
Toni

Hi Ankit,

Ok, thanks. I filed a bug: [SR-4554] The command "swift package describe" should not fetch dependencies · Issue #5038 · apple/swift-package-manager · GitHub

Best regards
Toni

···

Am 10.04.2017 um 17:38 schrieb Ankit Aggarwal <ankit_aggarwal@apple.com>:

Hi Toni,

This looks like a bug, can you file a JIRA at bugs.swift.org <Issues · apple/swift · GitHub?

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 9:10 PM, Toni Suter via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org <mailto:swift-users@swift.org>> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I would like to obtain detailed information about a package and all its dependencies in an automated fashion. At first I thought that the
two commands "swift package describe" and "swift package show-dependencies" are a perfect fit for that. More concretely,

1. Execute the command "swift package fetch" to make sure that all dependencies are downloaded

2. Execute the command "swift package show-dependencies --format json" to obtain a description of
each package (i.e., name, path, etc.) as well as the dependency relationship between the packages.

3. For each package, do the following to obtain information about the modules in that package:
  cd path-of-package

However, if a package has dependencies, the command "swift package describe --type json" will perform another fetch.
I am not sure why this is necessary since the output of that command only contains information about the individual modules of
the package. Unfortunately, this means that the same dependencies are downloaded multiple times if a package's dependencies have
themselves further dependencies, which makes the process above quite slow. Is this a bug or is there another way to retrieve the same information?

Thanks and best regards
Toni