swift-corelibs-xctest JIRA dashboard

Hello all!

If you're like me, you might be curious how Core Libraries like
swift-corelibs-xctest are doing with regards to the looming Swift 3.0
release. Well, wonder no more -- this handy JIRA dashboard has the
information you need:

The dashboard not only lists tasks that need to be resolved by Swift 3.0,
but also open starter tasks for new contributors.

Let me know if you find it useful! I personally think it'd be neat to have
one of these for all the swift-corelibs-* projects, what do you all think?
:)

PS: For those interested, the dashboard is implemented using custom task
filters:

- corelibs-xctest Open Tasks: Issues · apple/swift · GitHub
- corelibs-xctest Open 3.0 Tasks:
Issues · apple/swift · GitHub
- corelibs-xctest Open Starter Tasks:

To track tasks related to Swift 3.0, I created a new "swift-3.0" label in
JIRA. I hope no one minds. (+cc Jordan Rose, I've seen him managing labels
on JIRA before.)

- Brian Gesiak

Following up on Brian's JIRA dashboard for XCTest, I copied his model and created a dashboard for SwiftPM:
  https://bugs.swift.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=10409
and defined several useful SwiftPM public filters:

- Package Manager All Tasks: Issues · apple/swift · GitHub
- Package Manager Open Tasks: Issues · apple/swift · GitHub
- Package Manager Open 3.0 Tasks: Issues · apple/swift · GitHub
- Package Manager Open Starter Tasks: Issues · apple/swift · GitHub

Thanks to Brian for the inspiration!

- Daniel

···

On May 22, 2016, at 12:47 PM, Brian Gesiak via swift-corelibs-dev <swift-corelibs-dev@swift.org> wrote:

Hello all!

If you're like me, you might be curious how Core Libraries like swift-corelibs-xctest are doing with regards to the looming Swift 3.0 release. Well, wonder no more -- this handy JIRA dashboard has the information you need: https://bugs.swift.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=10408 <Issues · apple/swift · GitHub;

The dashboard not only lists tasks that need to be resolved by Swift 3.0, but also open starter tasks for new contributors.

Let me know if you find it useful! I personally think it'd be neat to have one of these for all the swift-corelibs-* projects, what do you all think? :)

PS: For those interested, the dashboard is implemented using custom task filters:

- corelibs-xctest Open Tasks: Issues · apple/swift · GitHub <Issues · apple/swift · GitHub;
- corelibs-xctest Open 3.0 Tasks: Issues · apple/swift · GitHub <Issues · apple/swift · GitHub;
- corelibs-xctest Open Starter Tasks: Issues · apple/swift · GitHub <Issues · apple/swift · GitHub;

To track tasks related to Swift 3.0, I created a new "swift-3.0" label in JIRA. I hope no one minds. (+cc Jordan Rose, I've seen him managing labels on JIRA before.)

- Brian Gesiak

This is slick!

I would love to have one for Foundation too (although my understanding of JIRA is limited at best).

- Tony

···

On May 22, 2016, at 12:47 PM, Brian Gesiak via swift-corelibs-dev <swift-corelibs-dev@swift.org> wrote:

Hello all!

If you're like me, you might be curious how Core Libraries like swift-corelibs-xctest are doing with regards to the looming Swift 3.0 release. Well, wonder no more -- this handy JIRA dashboard has the information you need: https://bugs.swift.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=10408 <Issues · apple/swift · GitHub;

The dashboard not only lists tasks that need to be resolved by Swift 3.0, but also open starter tasks for new contributors.

Let me know if you find it useful! I personally think it'd be neat to have one of these for all the swift-corelibs-* projects, what do you all think? :)

PS: For those interested, the dashboard is implemented using custom task filters:

- corelibs-xctest Open Tasks: Issues · apple/swift · GitHub <Issues · apple/swift · GitHub;
- corelibs-xctest Open 3.0 Tasks: Issues · apple/swift · GitHub <Issues · apple/swift · GitHub;
- corelibs-xctest Open Starter Tasks: Issues · apple/swift · GitHub <Issues · apple/swift · GitHub;

To track tasks related to Swift 3.0, I created a new "swift-3.0" label in JIRA. I hope no one minds. (+cc Jordan Rose, I've seen him managing labels on JIRA before.)

- Brian Gesiak

Brian Gesiak started started one for foundation. It seems it's only missing some trimming and labeling of issues:

···

David,

I actually started on one! Issues · apple/swift · GitHub :)

Like you mentioned, I don't have a ton of context on the project, so I'm a little hesitant to decide what should be tagged with "swift-3.0".

Still, one thing that stands out: swift-corelibs-foundation has only one task with the StarterBug label! I wonder if some tasks can be cleaned up, given clearer instructions, and labeled as a starter task...

- Brian Gesi

On 23 May 2016, at 22:41, Tony Parker via swift-corelibs-dev <swift-corelibs-dev@swift.org> wrote:

This is slick!

I would love to have one for Foundation too (although my understanding of JIRA is limited at best).

- Tony

Hello all!

If you're like me, you might be curious how Core Libraries like swift-corelibs-xctest are doing with regards to the looming Swift 3.0 release. Well, wonder no more -- this handy JIRA dashboard has the information you need: Issues · apple/swift · GitHub

- corelibs-xctest Open 3.0 Tasks: Issues · apple/swift · GitHub
- corelibs-xctest Open Starter Tasks: Issues · apple/swift · GitHub

- Brian Gesiak

I took a few moments to file a few more starters for Foundation (hopefully I should be able to fill out a few more soon). I ran across a some nice ones that should be relatively trivial to knock out. I think for Foundation the marker for a good starter bug would be things that are highly testable with a reduced scope of interfaces. Formatter subclasses are a great point to start with. Some of the NSUnimplemented methods are minefields that would require runtime support, whereas others are great points to start with.

Furthermore there will likely be a few good ones that will come in when the proposals start to land; there is a lot of busy work with the whole naming changes. So stay tuned on that front.

···

On May 23, 2016, at 7:18 PM, Brian Gesiak via swift-corelibs-dev <swift-corelibs-dev@swift.org> wrote:

I'm glad people are finding these useful!!

Yes, I've made one for corelibs-foundation as well: Issues · apple/swift · GitHub <Issues · apple/swift · GitHub;

Of course, as David mentioned, task curation is what makes these dashboards really shine. Try assigning the "swift-3.0" label to tasks that should be taken care of in time for its release. Also, I noticed swift-corelibs-foundation doesn't have many tasks with the "StarterBug" label. I think those are a great way to encourage more people to contribute.

- Brian Gesiak

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 5:57 PM, David Hart <david@hartbit.com <mailto:david@hartbit.com>> wrote:
Brian Gesiak started started one for foundation. It seems it's only missing some trimming and labeling of issues:

David,

Like you mentioned, I don't have a ton of context on the project, so I'm a little hesitant to decide what should be tagged with "swift-3.0".

Still, one thing that stands out: swift-corelibs-foundation has only one task with the StarterBug label! I wonder if some tasks can be cleaned up, given clearer instructions, and labeled as a starter task...

- Brian Gesi

On 23 May 2016, at 22:41, Tony Parker via swift-corelibs-dev <swift-corelibs-dev@swift.org <mailto:swift-corelibs-dev@swift.org>> wrote:

This is slick!

- Tony

On May 22, 2016, at 12:47 PM, Brian Gesiak via swift-corelibs-dev <swift-corelibs-dev@swift.org <mailto:swift-corelibs-dev@swift.org>> wrote:

Hello all!

If you're like me, you might be curious how Core Libraries like swift-corelibs-xctest are doing with regards to the looming Swift 3.0 release. Well, wonder no more -- this handy JIRA dashboard has the information you need: Issues · apple/swift · GitHub <Issues · apple/swift · GitHub;

- Brian Gesiak

I'm glad people are finding these useful!!

Yes, I've made one for corelibs-foundation as well:

Of course, as David mentioned, task curation is what makes these dashboards
really shine. Try assigning the "swift-3.0" label to tasks that should be
taken care of in time for its release. Also, I noticed
swift-corelibs-foundation doesn't have many tasks with the "StarterBug"
label. I think those are a great way to encourage more people to contribute.

- Brian Gesiak

···

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 5:57 PM, David Hart <david@hartbit.com> wrote:

Brian Gesiak started started one for foundation. It seems it's only
missing some trimming and labeling of issues:

David,

Like you mentioned, I don't have a ton of context on the project, so I'm a
little hesitant to decide what should be tagged with "swift-3.0".

Still, one thing that stands out: swift-corelibs-foundation has only one
task with the StarterBug label! I wonder if some tasks can be cleaned up,
given clearer instructions, and labeled as a starter task...

- Brian Gesi

On 23 May 2016, at 22:41, Tony Parker via swift-corelibs-dev < > swift-corelibs-dev@swift.org> wrote:

This is slick!

I would love to have one for Foundation too (although my understanding of
JIRA is limited at best).

- Tony

On May 22, 2016, at 12:47 PM, Brian Gesiak via swift-corelibs-dev < > swift-corelibs-dev@swift.org> wrote:

Hello all!

If you're like me, you might be curious how Core Libraries like
swift-corelibs-xctest are doing with regards to the looming Swift 3.0
release. Well, wonder no more -- this handy JIRA dashboard has the
information you need:

The dashboard not only lists tasks that need to be resolved by Swift 3.0,
but also open starter tasks for new contributors.

Let me know if you find it useful! I personally think it'd be neat to have
one of these for all the swift-corelibs-* projects, what do you all think?
:)

PS: For those interested, the dashboard is implemented using custom task
filters:

- corelibs-xctest Open 3.0 Tasks:
- corelibs-xctest Open Starter Tasks:

To track tasks related to Swift 3.0, I created a new "swift-3.0" label in
JIRA. I hope no one minds. (+cc Jordan Rose, I've seen him managing labels
on JIRA before.)

- Brian Gesiak

I would love to help out, but can't get the Xcode workspace to compile due the the `return Int(self.native.bitPattern)` issue.

Is a new development toolchain likely to be released soon, as I'm struggling to build my own toolchain.

Regards,

Rob...

···

On 24 May 2016, at 05:38, Philippe Hausler via swift-corelibs-dev <swift-corelibs-dev@swift.org> wrote:

I took a few moments to file a few more starters for Foundation (hopefully I should be able to fill out a few more soon). I ran across a some nice ones that should be relatively trivial to knock out. I think for Foundation the marker for a good starter bug would be things that are highly testable with a reduced scope of interfaces. Formatter subclasses are a great point to start with. Some of the NSUnimplemented methods are minefields that would require runtime support, whereas others are great points to start with.

Furthermore there will likely be a few good ones that will come in when the proposals start to land; there is a lot of busy work with the whole naming changes. So stay tuned on that front.

My suggestion to work around this issue: revert that commit locally - the rest should build fine. Unfortunately the change was made without a workaround for a deprecated transition when the new accessor was added so we had a hard transition that required a full rebuild or else the CI would break on Linux.

···

Sent from my iPhone

On May 24, 2016, at 1:13 AM, Rob Allen <rob@akrabat.com> wrote:

On 24 May 2016, at 05:38, Philippe Hausler via swift-corelibs-dev <swift-corelibs-dev@swift.org> wrote:

I would love to help out, but can't get the Xcode workspace to compile due the the `return Int(self.native.bitPattern)` issue.

Is a new development toolchain likely to be released soon, as I'm struggling to build my own toolchain.

Regards,

Rob...