[Swift 3.x] What to expect?

Given most discussion here is now about Swift 4, I wanted to ask the core team what is the proposed course for the 3.x releases - should they contain only non-additive changes (potentially breaking) or should minor additive features be allowed as well? Given the strict focus of Swift 4, I think Swift 3.x is the last place for the next two-three years for some minor refinements/additions...

Hi Charlie,

I expect the spring release to simply be time based: whatever is ready to go out then will go out, but we won’t claim (e.g.) ABI stability. For example, I’d hope for conditional conformances to be available in that release.

As for scheduling and planning, we’re planning the 3.x and 4 releases together, which means that the policies apply to 3.x as well: we need to get through Stage 1 before embarking on Stage 2.

-Chris

···

On Jul 30, 2016, at 2:42 AM, Charlie Monroe via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Given most discussion here is now about Swift 4, I wanted to ask the core team what is the proposed course for the 3.x releases - should they contain only non-additive changes (potentially breaking) or should minor additive features be allowed as well? Given the strict focus of Swift 4, I think Swift 3.x is the last place for the next two-three years for some minor refinements/additions…