Swift 3 and cross platform development

Hi,

I've seen on the swift-evolution git repository README.md page that Portability is one of the design goals for Swift 3.

Does this mean that Swift 3 will be available and useful on Windows too? So that it could be used for cross platform app development on both Windows and OS X (and probably also Android)?

For example, will Swift 3 be able to interoperate with Objective-C on Windows (e.g. using GnuSTEP or the WinObjC bridge from Microsoft)? Maybe using WinObjC+Swift on Windows, GnuSTEP+Swift on Linux and Native-objc+Swift on OS X? Such an application could probably share very much code between different platforms.

Regards,
Michael

Hi Michael,

This topic (in a form) has come up on list before. It's my understanding that the portability that is targeted is core Swift, not so much Obj-C interoperability.

That said, there are a few people working on Swift for MSVC, and Swift already works with Cygwin. Someone has considered making Swift work with an open source implementation of the Obj-C libraries (I don't think it was GnuSTEP), but I haven't heard from them in quite a while.

I hope that helps.
- Will

ยทยทยท

On May 12, 2016, at 8:42 AM, Michael Peternell via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Hi,

I've seen on the swift-evolution git repository README.md page that Portability is one of the design goals for Swift 3.

Does this mean that Swift 3 will be available and useful on Windows too? So that it could be used for cross platform app development on both Windows and OS X (and probably also Android)?

For example, will Swift 3 be able to interoperate with Objective-C on Windows (e.g. using GnuSTEP or the WinObjC bridge from Microsoft)? Maybe using WinObjC+Swift on Windows, GnuSTEP+Swift on Linux and Native-objc+Swift on OS X? Such an application could probably share very much code between different platforms.

Regards,
Michael