Suitable form for discussing and optimizing small programs to help improving compiler/optimizer/stdlib?

I have no opinion on which forum group to use, since I don't pay much attention to the categories. A performance tag that I could signup to "watch" might be helpful though.

I'm working on a reponse to the first bug report, SR-6254.

That bug report already has more than enough information. I was able to reproduce it right away. Spending more time on the bug report/benchmark probably won't get it fixed any quicker, but it may give you more insight to work around the problem quicker next time.

I mainly want to assure you that filing bugs like this is extremely helpful, even if it seems like no one is looking at them. Posting to the forum also helps draw attention. If it's a problem that hasn't been solved in months and is still affecting you, it helps to update the bug or post to the forum again.

I know that reducing a performance problem to a standalone benchmark is aggravating when you don't know what is causing fluctuations. But if you take the time to do that (as you did in SR-6264) that's very helpful to someone debugging the problem. Whoever actually does the debugging will be able further reduce it to a regression benchmark and add it to the benchmark suite. The reporter does not need to add a benchmark.

2 Likes