snapshot build hang (TestNSNotificationCenter.test_removeObserver)

I'm attempting to build the snapshot (swift-DEVELOPMENT-SNAPSHOT-2016-01-25-a) on Linux (running buildbot-linux).

I've gotten as far as the Foundation test suite, but on two different reproductions, the Foundation tests hang in an extremely unusual location.

The exact output is

Test Case 'TestNSJSONSerialization.test_isValidJSONObjectTrue' started.
Test Case 'TestNSJSONSerialization.test_isValidJSONObjectTrue' passed (0.0 seconds).
Test Case 'TestNSJSONSerialization.test_isValidJSONObjectFalse' started.
Test Case 'TestNSJSONSerialization.test_isValidJSONObjectFalse' passed (0.0 seconds).
Executed 23 tests, with 0 failures (0 unexpected) in 0.002 (0.003) seconds
Test Case 'TestNSLocale.test_constants' started.
Test Case 'TestNSLocale.test_constants' passed (0.0 seconds).
Executed 1 test, with 0 failures (0 unexpected) in 0.0 (0.0) seconds
Test Case 'TestNSNotificationCenter.test_defaultCenter' started.
Test Case 'TestNSNotificationCenter.test_defaultCenter' passed (0.0 seconds).
Test Case 'TestNSNotificationCenter.test_postNotification' started.
Test Case 'TestNSNotificationCenter.test_postNotification' passed (0.0 seconds).
Test Case 'TestNSNotificationCenter.test_postNotificationForObject' started.
Test Case 'TestNSNotificationCenter.test_postNotificationForObject' passed (0.0 seconds).
Test Case 'TestNSNotificationCenter.test_postMultipleNotifications' started.
Test Case 'TestNSNotificationCenter.test_postMultipleNotifications' passed (0.0 seconds).
Test Case 'TestNSNotificationCenter.test_addObserverForNilName' started.
Test Case 'TestNSNotificationCenter.test_addObserverForNilName' passed (0.0 seconds).
Test Case 'TestNSNotificationCenter.test_removeObserver' started.
Test Case 'TestNSNotificationCenter.test_remove

Very curious that it seems to halt in the middle of printing a log line.

For background, I'm building on a fresh Debian install inside an xhyve VM on El Capitan. I'm going to retest this on VirtualBox just on the off-chance that this is somehow a bug in the VM itself.

We did have some stalls in the tests that were non-deterministic; are you building swift-corelibs-foundation from scratch and testing or are you running tests against the binary version?

The latest versions on github should have some of the associated tests disabled that resulted in this stall.

···

On Jan 26, 2016, at 3:28 PM, Drew Crawford via swift-dev <swift-dev@swift.org> wrote:

I'm attempting to build the snapshot (swift-DEVELOPMENT-SNAPSHOT-2016-01-25-a) on Linux (running buildbot-linux).

I've gotten as far as the Foundation test suite, but on two different reproductions, the Foundation tests hang in an extremely unusual location.

The exact output is

Test Case 'TestNSJSONSerialization.test_isValidJSONObjectTrue' passed (0.0 seconds).
Test Case 'TestNSJSONSerialization.test_isValidJSONObjectFalse' passed (0.0 seconds).
Test Case 'TestNSNotificationCenter.test_postNotification' passed (0.0 seconds).
Test Case 'TestNSNotificationCenter.test_postNotificationForObject' passed (0.0 seconds).
Test Case 'TestNSNotificationCenter.test_postMultipleNotifications' passed (0.0 seconds).
Test Case 'TestNSNotificationCenter.test_addObserverForNilName' passed (0.0 seconds).

For background, I'm building on a fresh Debian install inside an xhyve VM on El Capitan. I'm going to retest this on VirtualBox just on the off-chance that this is somehow a bug in the VM itself.

I'm building from scratch, using the same tag (swift-DEVELOPMENT-SNAPSHOT-2016-01-25-a) on all repos.

When you say "the latest versions on github", could you recommend a specific tag or ref I should build against?

···

On Jan 26, 2016, at 5:53 PM, Philippe Hausler <phausler@apple.com> wrote:

We did have some stalls in the tests that were non-deterministic; are you building swift-corelibs-foundation from scratch and testing or are you running tests against the binary version?

The latest versions on github should have some of the associated tests disabled that resulted in this stall.

On Jan 26, 2016, at 3:28 PM, Drew Crawford via swift-dev <swift-dev@swift.org <mailto:swift-dev@swift.org>> wrote:

The exact output is

Disable NSThread tests due to CI timeout failures · apple/swift-corelibs-foundation@5b77eaf · GitHub was the test that was backing up the output because the test for threading was hanging.

So in theory you should be able to just disable the tests for NSThread and NSTask and that will get you going (if this is the same bug as I am thinking it is)

···

On Jan 26, 2016, at 4:03 PM, Drew Crawford <drew@sealedabstract.com> wrote:

I'm building from scratch, using the same tag (swift-DEVELOPMENT-SNAPSHOT-2016-01-25-a) on all repos.

When you say "the latest versions on github", could you recommend a specific tag or ref I should build against?

On Jan 26, 2016, at 5:53 PM, Philippe Hausler <phausler@apple.com <mailto:phausler@apple.com>> wrote:

On Jan 26, 2016, at 3:28 PM, Drew Crawford via swift-dev <swift-dev@swift.org <mailto:swift-dev@swift.org>> wrote:

The exact output is