Setting expectations on when we move to Discourse

Hi everyone,

Moving to Discourse (from the mailing lists) is something that is being scoped out, but I wanted to lay some expectations that the move will not be immediate.

The reason is that the people who would do the work on making the transition were already busy with already planned infrastructure work. Once some of that completes, probably in the next few weeks, a more serious push can be made on doing the actual move.

Ted

Hi Ted,

Is that the reason why the mailing list was down for 24 hours?

···

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

Am 24. Februar 2017 um 19:18:31, Ted kremenek via swift-evolution (swift-evolution@swift.org) schrieb:

Hi everyone,

Moving to Discourse (from the mailing lists) is something that is being scoped out, but I wanted to lay some expectations that the move will not be immediate.

The reason is that the people who would do the work on making the transition were already busy with already planned infrastructure work. Once some of that completes, probably in the next few weeks, a more serious push can be made on doing the actual move.

Ted

I can comprehend that hard problems like ABI-stability take a while, but imho it's no good sign that a (a least from a technical standpoint) simple task like setting up a server needs so much time.

That status update is quite old now, and I guess many have been disappointed that the switch wasn't finished until or during the last WWDC…
Is the move still on the agenda, or did the decision die silently in the last months? (or did I just break my spamfilter and I'm already receiving messages from Discourses' mail gateway? ;-)

Heh, that was just a flutter on the server. Thanks for reaching out yesterday, and sorry it wasn't resolved sooner.

···

On Feb 24, 2017, at 10:20, Adrian Zubarev via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Hi Ted,

Is that the reason why the mailing list was down for 24 hours?

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

Am 24. Februar 2017 um 19:18:31, Ted kremenek via swift-evolution (swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>) schrieb:

Hi everyone,

Ted

Perhaps there’s just a lot of work to do at the moment that has a higher priority than getting an improved Swift Community Comms method. I can scarcely fathom the amount of work within Apple being done to make sure Swift 4, iOS 11, macOS High Sierra, Xcode 9, and all the other great projects all get out sometime within the next few months.

My expectation is that once we move past the hard deadlines of these releases, there would be time to start performing this move. The issue isn’t just setting up a server. There are a lot of other issues beyond the actual implementation (legal, setting the conversations up right, scale, security, simple prioritisation of resources to *do* the albeit relatively small amount of work).

···

On 21 Jul 2017, at 2:20 am, Tino Heth via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

I can comprehend that hard problems like ABI-stability take a while, but imho it's no good sign that a (a least from a technical standpoint) simple task like setting up a server needs so much time.

That status update is quite old now, and I guess many have been disappointed that the switch wasn't finished until or during the last WWDC…
Is the move still on the agenda, or did the decision die silently in the last months? (or did I just break my spamfilter and I'm already receiving messages from Discourses' mail gateway? ;-)

Hi Tino,

You are right to be anxious about this. When we decided to move to Discourse people were quite busy with other things we had already planned to do. Our infrastructure efforts were focused on things like the source compatibility suite, and there simply was a lot to do and I probably underestimated the amount of time we’d need to move to Discourse. To me this wasn’t about just moving from a mailing list to a forum, but in the process make sure we did something that worked ideally for the community. Unfortunately stuff just took longer than expected, and by the time we got closer to June (with WWDC and a public beta of Swift 4) it wasn’t the right time to make this kind of change. Now that Swift 4 is winding down we’re going to focus on making this happen. Where I failed here was not updating the community on what was going on.

I’m starting a new thread on this as part of getting community feedback on the transition. Thank you for being patient.

Ted

···

On Jul 20, 2017, at 9:20 AM, Tino Heth <2th@gmx.de> wrote: