SE-0419: Swift Backtracing API

Yeah, that's all about what I expected, @scanon & @FranzBusch. I was assuming that from watches to servers these days - and frankly most embedded, since it's mostly ARM - everything has a more modern ISA with sufficiently many GPRs to negate any meaningful benefit from omitting frame pointers.

I suspect it's merely some inertia that's prolonging getting people off of that old crutch. I'm not remotely surprised that some big Linux distros are in this bucket - they tend to be absurdly conservative and slow to change.

I was asking because back in the brief window of time when i386 was a thing for the Mac (32-bit Intel, e.g. Core Duos), I was at Apple in the Performance Tools teams (Shark & Instruments), and it was a frustration of ours that -fomit-frame-pointer was a noticeable performance-booster on the register-starved i386 architecture¹, so it was hard to just bluntly tell people not to use it… yet, by breaking the ability to profile their code, people who used it often left even bigger performance gains on the table (or otherwise had to invest much more labour into identifying & resolving performance problems).

At one point there was even an Apple-internal debate about whether to abandon kernel-based profiling in favour of user-space profiling² because implementing unwind without frame pointers is possible but incredibly expensive and requires masses of debug metadata, making it highly unpalatable to put in the kernel. Thankfully there were too many obvious problems with user-space profiling, so that notion never really got its legs, and then x86-64 finally arrived³ and it was mooted.

¹ It's funny how the Intel transition is now heralded as being amazing and how much better Intel Macs were than PPC Macs, but for a while there we lost a lot of things, like a 64-bit architecture, a competent SIMD implementation, or the notion of more than [effectively] six GPRs. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

² There were at the time already some Apple developer tools that did user-space profiling, most notably Sampler (now a niche feature in Activity Monitor) and early versions of Instruments (in fact Instruments still has the Sampler plug-in which does this, although I can't really fathom why anyone would ever willing use it over the Time Profile plug-in).

³ In the sense of all Macs adopting it, not just the Mac Pro. It was easy to ignore i386 at that point because it was then all but officially a dead architecture as far as Apple were concerned.

4 Likes