SE-0354: Regex Literals

+0.75. I support the decision to use / as a delimiter for regexes, though I have some concerns about other various minutiae.

I feel that many posters on this thread and the previous thread are overstating the harm that comes from from the ambiguous cases listed in the proposal. While there definitely are cases where there is ambiguity, these cases seem very rare. I've never once needed to write anything like foo(/, /) or bar[/] + bar[/] in Swift. In the previous thread, Mishal Shah found that only 1 out of 2,879 projects on the Swift Package Index broke due to the ambiguities introduced in this proposal. To date, I haven't seen a case where an ambiguity would occur in realistic Swift code. Additionally, standalone operators already have cases where parentheses or an explicit closure are required e.g. let divide: (_, _) -> Int = (/).

Here's how I imagine these ambiguities will play out:

1. It's extremely unlikely that a Swift programmer will encounter a situation where they have to disambiguate between two / operators and a /.../ regex literal in the first place.
  2. Even if they do get into that situation, they will recognize the situation due to syntax highlighting and, oftentimes, related errors. They can then use parentheses or closures to disambiguate.

I get the appeal of only having #/.../# as a language designer. But as a language user, the # characters are just noise and the ambiguities are rare enough that they don't really pull their weight, especially considering that plain /.../ is a term of art for regular expressions. Objective-C developers know about the clutter that comes from repeatedly using a special character (like #) to maintain backwards compatibility.

In regard to the CasePaths library, I agree that the deprecation of prefix / is unfortunate. However, I don't think we should hold Swift back for the sake of one library — especially since the library could switch to another operator, like |. Unless I'm mistaken, it seems that swift-syntax should be able to automate replacing / with | in existing codebases. And if case paths do get natively implemented in the language, delimited by \, then people would have to rewrite their code anyway.

I still think that named captures should be supported by the DSL if they're supported by literals. It's not a dealbreaker for me if that doesn't happen, but I do think this sort of thing is antithetical to how literals and the DSL is supposed to work. Regex literals are supposed to be terse, succinct expressions while the DSL is supposed to be more powerful, readable, and composable with the expense of being more verbose. Requiring programmers to un-DSLize (for lack of a better term) their Regex in order to have named captures would undermine the power, readability, and composability that the DSL is supposed to have over literals.

Reference is sort of similar to named captures, but I don't think it's close enough. It doesn't have the same semantics as named captures and replaces type system guarantees with runtime checks and confusing rules.

I have reservations about the -enable-bare-regex-syntax flag as well. I'd love to be able to use /.../ from day one, but I'm worried about creating a new dialect of Swift. If Swift 6 is coming out soon, though, it's less of an issue. I'd like to know what the intended use of this flag is. Is it just for regex enthusiasts? Or is it something that's intended to be added by default to new Swift packages and Xcode projects?

Also, how would this flag work with features like playgrounds or the REPL?

7 Likes