SE-0306 (Second Review): Actors

• What is your evaluation of the proposal?
    -0.5, lacking any form of inheritance will make testing larger stateful pieces more challenging. Quoting what I stated earlier

Considering this, I would very much prefer a way to subclass/subactor, if only to test actors. I think Chris' suggestion (2) "Support for inheritance but without designated/required initializers, class methods, etc." would work for most cases, as long as (a) functions can be overridden and (b) mutable test variables can be added, to the sub-actor.

• Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
    Absolutely, and I'm very excited for actors in swift otherwise.

• Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
    I think lacking any inheritance is going to come as a surprise to a lot of engineers and create a new set of challenges.

• If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
    A bit of Scala, but I don't know the semantics deeply enough to do a hard comparison. Otherwise, I understand the theoretical implications well enough, and other than the lack of inheritance the proposal is in line with what I was hoping.

• How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?
    I've been keeping up with various proposals and manifestos for a long while. I only felt as if I needed to voice an opinion once inheritance was taken out however.

1 Like