SE-0257: Eliding commas from multiline expression lists

The same "special case" already exists for semicolon elision in statements.

This analogy does not fit at all. The closest analogy is eliding semicolons between statements; it is literally the same feature.

It's a separate value, just like if you wrote

foo
(6 * 9)

in today's Swift.

There is literally nothing new in that section: these are the rules of Swift's grammar today for semicolon elision with statements. There is a practical difference in that you're more likely to bump into these cases in an expression list (comma elision) than in a statement list (semicolon elision).

This does not follow at all from the proposal. The proposal applies precisely the same logic used for semicolon elision of statements to comma elision of expression lists; it does not otherwise expand the rules.

For reference, I posted an extensive reply to your critique within the pitch thread, to which you did not reply.

(I'll separately post my own thoughts on this part, which are quite subjective)

As I noted in my reply on the pitch thread, this is incorrect. Specifically, I wrote:

Also as I noted in the pitch thread, this is incorrect. Specifically, I wrote:

(skipping the more-subjection comment, so...)

To which I replied in the pitch thread:

Our 8+ years of semicolon elision have prepared the language and tools for this change. So while it is a significant stylistic change to the language, it is not a radical technical change.

Doug

9 Likes