SE-0257: Eliding commas from multiline expression lists

I agree that this concern should be taken very seriously. However, it was addressed in detail by @Douglas_Gregor in the pitch thread. Nobody (including @Chris_Lattner3) replied to Doug’s post explaining why any part of it might be inaccurate.

If there is a disagreement about facts related to this fundamental point of concern on the core team it would be nice to see it resolved during this review so reviewers can at least have a shared set of facts to consider. Right now, I think everyone is assuming that the perspective that aligns with their preference is factual, taking the word of either @Douglas_Gregor or @Chris_Lattner3 as fact (depending on their preference).

I was personally on the fence about this proposal until reading Doug’s post. After reading that post and looking at a number of EDSL examples in detail I became a big fan (assuming Doug’s post is accurate). Yes, it will require good judgement to use well, but that is true of many things in programming. IMO, the benefits outweigh the costs (at least for programmers capable of exercising good judgement).

2 Likes