SE-0230: Flatten nested optionals resulting from `try?`

What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+1, after some chin-stroking.

Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

I think so. I was a bit skeptical on first blush, but two things convinced me:

1. The research on the source compat suite's non-reliance on the existing behavior is compelling.
  2. The parallel to as? is decisive.

When Swift is at its best, it feels simpler than it truly is because it provides a sort of heuristic consistency that allows developers to reason about disparate features using a unified mental model. (This is closely related to the idea of “progressive disclosure” that Chris Lattner talks about.)

When Swift is at its worst, it feels like a minefield of special cases because it forces developers to understand its subtle formal distinctions in ways that prevent a casual mental model from being effective.

The former should be an ongoing design goal for Swift — and the language should be willing to tolerate some judicious source breakage to support it.

If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

Swift’s type promotion/conversion conveniences around Optional make it far more pleasant to use than the otherwise nearly identical Maybe types in ML family languages. I second Brent: conveniences should be convenient. And this convenience is one of Swift’s defining features.

How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Quick glance.

7 Likes