RSS feed for the Swift.org blog not working

I'm a happy user of NetNewsWire 3.3 and I follow dozens of blogs with no problems. However, when I subscribe to the RSS feed at Swift.org, I'm not seeing any blog posts. Who should I contact to report a problem with this feed?

Craig

The feed seems to have data in it, and includes the swift 4.0 release note:

<entry>
    <title>Swift 4.0 Released!</title>

<author>

<name>Ted Kremenek</name>

</author>
    <link href="https://swift.org/blog/swift-4-0-released/"/>
    <updated>2017-09-19T05:00:00-07:00</updated>
    <id>https://swift.org/blog/swift-4-0-released/&lt;/id&gt;
    <content type="html">&lt;p&gt;Swift 4 is now officially released! Swift 4 builds on the strengths of Swift 3, delivering greater robustness and stability, providing source code compatibility with Swift 3, ma
king improvements to the standard library, and adding features like archival and serialization.&lt;/p&gt;

When you curl the feed, what happens?

curl Swift.org

Note that the feed is an Atom feed, rather than an RSS feed, but it should still be possible for your favourite news reader to process it. It may also be caused by having marked the feed as read; in which case, removing it and adding it again should work.

Alex

···

On 20 Sep 2017, at 16:54, Craig Maynard via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

I'm a happy user of NetNewsWire 3.3 and I follow dozens of blogs with no problems. However, when I subscribe to the RSS feed at Swift.org, I'm not seeing any blog posts. Who should I contact to report a problem with this feed?

Craig

I receive a response that appears to be XML, but I don't know if it is well-formed.

My newsreader is emitting this error message:

2017-09-20 13:27:28 -0400: Download Error: Domain: SSL Type: error code: -9824 URL: Swift.org

Craig

···

On Sep 20, 2017, at 12:19 PM, Alex Blewitt <alblue@apple.com> wrote:

When you curl the feed, what happens?

$ curl Swift.org

On 20 Sep 2017, at 16:54, Craig Maynard via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

When I subscribe to the RSS feed at Swift.org, I'm not seeing any blog posts.

The plot thickens..

Apparently my cranky old news reader doesn't understand SSL (see error below). I tried Swift.org and now I'm seeing a subset of posts. The last one in the list is dated 1/27/2017 and has the title "Faster Mix-and-Match Builds with Precompiled Bridging Header". Nothing after that.

Would it be possible to serve all the posts from Swift.org?

Thanks,
Craig

···

On Sep 20, 2017, at 2:12 PM, Martin Man <mman@martinman.net> wrote:

From OSStatus — Apple API Errors

-9824 = errSSLPeerHandshakeFail

This looks like a network issue between your client and swift.org

When I subscribe to the RSS feed at Swift.org, I'm not seeing any blog posts. My newsreader is emitting this error message:

2017-09-20 13:27:28 -0400: Download Error: Domain: SSL Type: error code: -9824 URL: Swift.org

From OSStatus — Apple API Errors <OSStatus — Apple API Errors;

This looks like a network issue between your client and swift.org <http://swift.org/&gt;

Just tried to access this link via Safari on Sierra and it correctly detected the feed and added it to the shared links sidebar, showing all content from the feed as expected…

Just my .2 cents,
Martin

···

On 20 Sep 2017, at 19:37, Craig Maynard via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

As you will have noted in my prior response, the atom.xml includes the blog post from yesterday that announced Swift 4.0 release. So clearly the posts are included and there is something failing in your client. Please investigate further.

The posts appear to be listed in ascending date order (i.e. more recent ones are at the bottom). If your client is assuming they are in descending order, and only showing you the first N posts, then you might have this behaviour. For example:

$ grep title atom.xml
  <title type="text" xml:lang="en">Swift.org</title>
    <title>The Swift.org Blog</title>
    <title>The Swift Linux Port</title>
    <title>Swift 3 API Design Guidelines</title>
    <title>Swift 2.2 Release Process</title>
    <title>It's Coming: the Great Swift API Transformation</title>
    <title>Continuous Integration now Available</title>
    <title>Swift Benchmark Suite now Available</title>
    <title>Expanding Commit Access</title>
    <title>Swift 2.2 Released!</title>
    <title>New Features in Swift 2.2</title>
    <title>Swift 3.0 Release Process</title>
    <title>Swift 2.3</title>
    <title>Swift 3.0 Preview 1 Released!</title>
    <title>Xcode Playground Support</title>
    <title>Swift 3.0 Released!</title>
    <title>Whole-Module Optimization in Swift 3</title>
    <title>Server APIs Work Group</title>
    <title>Swift 3.1 Release Process</title>
    <title>Swift Evolution Status Page Now Available</title>
    <title>Faster Mix-and-Match Builds with Precompiled Bridging Headers</title>
    <title>Swift 4 Release Process</title>
    <title>Swift 3.1 Released!</title>
    <title>Swift Source Compatibility Test Suite Now Available</title>
    <title>Swift Package Manager Manifest API Redesign</title>
    <title>Swift Local Refactoring</title>
    <title>Swift 4.0 Released!</title>

Alex

···

On 20 Sep 2017, at 21:30, Craig Maynard via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

The plot thickens..

Apparently my cranky old news reader doesn't understand SSL (see error below). I tried Swift.org and now I'm seeing a subset of posts. The last one in the list is dated 1/27/2017 and has the title "Faster Mix-and-Match Builds with Precompiled Bridging Header". Nothing after that.

Would it be possible to serve all the posts from Swift.org?

Thanks,
Craig

On Sep 20, 2017, at 2:12 PM, Martin Man <mman@martinman.net> wrote:

From OSStatus — Apple API Errors

This looks like a network issue between your client and swift.org

When I subscribe to the RSS feed at Swift.org, I'm not seeing any blog posts. My newsreader is emitting this error message:

% wget Swift.org
URL transformed to HTTPS due to an HSTS policy
[snip]

HSTS -> RFC 6797: HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS)

swift.org has simply become inaccessible to non-secure or misconfigured clients.

GL

Alex, I subscribe to over 60 blogs and ALL of them except swift.org work perfectly with my news reader. Rather than trying to assign blame, I'd like you to reason with me about why this is happening. If you're not willing to meet me halfway, then this is a futile exercise.

Craig

···

On Sep 20, 2017, at 4:51 PM, Alex Blewitt <alblue@apple.com> wrote:

As you will have noted in my prior response, the atom.xml includes the blog post from yesterday that announced Swift 4.0 release. So clearly the posts are included and there is something failing in your client. Please investigate further.