[Review] SE-0022: Referencing the Objective-C selector of a method

True, though we could make it a tuple or invent a new SourceLocLiteralConvertible protocol. However, Andrew Bennett suggested an interesting approach in Issues · apple/swift-issues · GitHub

public struct SourceLocation {
    init(file: String = __FILE__, line: Int = __LINE__, column: Int = __COLUMN__, function: String = __FUNCTION__) {
        self.file = file
        self.line = line
        self.column = column
        self.function = function
    }

public var file: String
    public var line: Int
    public var column: Int
    public var function: String
}

If we apply the default argument rules for #line, #column, etc. at depth, so that if you use 'SourceLocation()' as a default parameter you get the caller's source location as default arguments to SourceLocation(), then you could build aggregate source location structures from the primitives we have today.

-Joe

···

On Jan 22, 2016, at 11:42 AM, Jordan Rose <jordan_rose@apple.com> wrote:

On Jan 21, 2016, at 21:44, Joe Groff via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

On Jan 21, 2016, at 9:25 PM, Erica Sadun via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Okay, you know this was coming: let's Groff this thing.

How about #(line) where you can decouple the specific compiler implementation bits from the keyword bits without hardcoding support, enabling implementation of, for example, #(runcible) for future Swift compiler substitution logic.

If you're going to bring me into it…I would prefer coalescing all these __FILE__, __LINE__, etc. things into one #sourceLocation structure. If you want one source-location-related thing, you tend to want the others, and you also want to be able to forward the source location info easily through the depths of your assertion/logging framework.

The downside is that this becomes Yet Another Compiler-Known Type and Yet Another Thing In the Standard Library. All the current fields are string literals and integer literals.

I’m not sure what you’re asking. We have a syntactic distinction between declaration modifiers and attributes, the later has an @, the former uses a context sensitive keyword. We decide between the two based on how primal their effect is on the declaration.

-Chris

···

On Jan 22, 2016, at 2:03 PM, James Campbell <james@supmenow.com> wrote:

What about property attributes? how come some attributes don't have a @ like dynamic or lazy and others do like @objc.

It's only a "compiler-known type" if it's defined that way. What's wrong with just a regular tuple?
location = (path: __FILE__, line: __LINE__, column: __COLUMN__, function: __FUNCTION__)

- Dave Sweeris

···

On Jan 22, 2016, at 11:42, Jordan Rose via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

On Jan 21, 2016, at 21:44, Joe Groff via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

On Jan 21, 2016, at 9:25 PM, Erica Sadun via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

How about #(line) where you can decouple the specific compiler implementation bits from the keyword bits without hardcoding support, enabling implementation of, for example, #(runcible) for future Swift compiler substitution logic.

If you're going to bring me into it…I would prefer coalescing all these __FILE__, __LINE__, etc. things into one #sourceLocation structure. If you want one source-location-related thing, you tend to want the others, and you also want to be able to forward the source location info easily through the depths of your assertion/logging framework.

The downside is that this becomes Yet Another Compiler-Known Type and Yet Another Thing In the Standard Library. All the current fields are string literals and integer literals.

Jordan

Just wanting to know when swift uses @, when its # and when its just a
normal keyword.

···

*___________________________________*

*James⎥Lead Engineer*

*james@supmenow.com <james@supmenow.com>⎥supmenow.com <http://supmenow.com>*

*Sup*

*Runway East *

*10 Finsbury Square*

*London*

* EC2A 1AF *

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 10:36 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2016, at 2:03 PM, James Campbell <james@supmenow.com> wrote:
>
> What about property attributes? how come some attributes don't have a @
like dynamic or lazy and others do like @objc.

I’m not sure what you’re asking. We have a syntactic distinction between
declaration modifiers and attributes, the later has an @, the former uses a
context sensitive keyword. We decide between the two based on how primal
their effect is on the declaration.

-Chris

It's only a "compiler-known type" if it's defined that way. What's wrong with just a regular tuple?
location = (path: __FILE__, line: __LINE__, column: __COLUMN__, function: __FUNCTION__)

This would make sense to me. One complexity here is that you’d want to use:

func f(a : Int = location.line) {}

and our default argument model doesn’t support that. A default argument is either an expression, or one of these magic __LINE__ indicators. They aren’t really first-class values.

-Chris

···

On Jan 22, 2016, at 4:21 PM, David Sweeris via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

- Dave Sweeris

On Jan 22, 2016, at 11:42, Jordan Rose via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Jordan

This might be worse than what you’re describing, but how much compiler overhead is there in having #calledFromLocation and #currentLocation defined? I *think* the compiler could optimize them away of they aren’t used in any given function, but you’d know way more about that than I would.

- Dave Sweeris

···

On Jan 22, 2016, at 16:31, Chris Lattner <clattner@apple.com> wrote:

On Jan 22, 2016, at 4:21 PM, David Sweeris via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

This would make sense to me. One complexity here is that you’d want to use:

and our default argument model doesn’t support that. A default argument is either an expression, or one of these magic __LINE__ indicators. They aren’t really first-class values.

-Chris

- Dave Sweeris

Jordan

I think `#location` (or similar) as a tuple is much nicer than having
several `___SOMETHING___`s. I think a solution that doesn't exploit default
arguments is better, especially if it can reduce the number of reserved
words (not that I expect anyone to accidentally call something `__LINE__`.

I think Chris' point about accessing fields on the default argument needs
to be addressed before a tuple is a workable solution.

Another reason to not use a tuple (yet) is that the labels on the tuple are
insufficient to distinguish it, and/or Swift doesn't yet let you add an
extension to a tuple type.

This is a contrived example (I skipped part of the tuple for brevity):

typealias SourceLocation = (line: Int, file: String)

typealias RepeatConfig = (count: Int, string: String)

func print(location: SourceLocation) {

print("\(location.file):\(location.line)")

}

func print(config: RepeatConfig) {

for _ in 1 ... config.count { print(config.string) }

}

print((1,"this is ambiguous"))

This results in a compile-time error:

extension SourceLocation {

var stringForError: String {

return "\(self.file):\(self.line)"

}

}

Error:

*non-nominal type 'SourceLocation' (aka '(line: Int, file: String)') cannot
be extended*

···

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution < swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2016, at 4:21 PM, David Sweeris via swift-evolution < > swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>
> It's only a "compiler-known type" if it's defined that way. What's wrong
with just a regular tuple?
> location = (path: __FILE__, line: __LINE__, column: __COLUMN__,
function: __FUNCTION__)

This would make sense to me. One complexity here is that you’d want to
use:

and our default argument model doesn’t support that. A default argument
is either an expression, or one of these magic __LINE__ indicators. They
aren’t really first-class values.

-Chris

>
> - Dave Sweeris
>
>> On Jan 22, 2016, at 11:42, Jordan Rose via swift-evolution < > swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>>
>>
>>> On Jan 21, 2016, at 21:44, Joe Groff via swift-evolution < > swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> On Jan 21, 2016, at 9:25 PM, Erica Sadun via swift-evolution < > swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Okay, you know this was coming: let's Groff this thing.
>>>>
>>>> How about #(line) where you can decouple the specific compiler
implementation bits from the keyword bits without hardcoding support,
enabling implementation of, for example, #(runcible) for future Swift
compiler substitution logic.
>>>
>>> If you're going to bring me into it…I would prefer coalescing all
these __FILE__, __LINE__, etc. things into one #sourceLocation structure.
If you want one source-location-related thing, you tend to want the others,
and you also want to be able to forward the source location info easily
through the depths of your assertion/logging framework.
>>
>> The downside is that this becomes Yet Another Compiler-Known Type and
Yet Another Thing In the Standard Library. All the current fields are
string literals and integer literals.
>>
>> Jordan
>> _______________________________________________
>> swift-evolution mailing list
>> swift-evolution@swift.org
>> https://lists.swift.org/mailman/listinfo/swift-evolution
> _______________________________________________
> swift-evolution mailing list