Requiring Xcode 7.3 to build Swift master for Apple platforms?

Xcode 7.3 included a fix for the Apple linker that's necessary to support some of the metadata format changes we're making in Swift 3. I have some workarounds in place that I'd like to remove since they suppress linker coalescing of some constant strings. Would anyone object to us requiring using Xcode 7.3 to develop Swift for OS X and other Apple platforms? If not, we could conditionalize the workarounds behind a flag, though that's additional complexity and testing surface I'd like to avoid.

-Joe

Would this be a temporary limitation? I'd prefer to see Swift available to any development environment even on Apple Platforms. It contributes to the message of openness.

-Dave

···

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El mar 29, 2016, a las 2:02 PM, Joe Groff via swift-dev <swift-dev@swift.org> escribió:

Xcode 7.3 included a fix for the Apple linker that's necessary to support some of the metadata format changes we're making in Swift 3. I have some workarounds in place that I'd like to remove since they suppress linker coalescing of some constant strings. Would anyone object to us requiring using Xcode 7.3 to develop Swift for OS X and other Apple platforms? If not, we could conditionalize the workarounds behind a flag, though that's additional complexity and testing surface I'd like to avoid.

-Joe

Agreed. The minimum OS X version for Xcode 7.3 is 10.11.0, which would make El Capitan required to run Swift 3.0.

- Andrew Hyatt
ahyattdev@icloud.com

···

On Mar 29, 2016, at 11:23, David Abraham via swift-dev <swift-dev@swift.org> wrote:

Would this be a temporary limitation? I'd prefer to see Swift available to any development environment even on Apple Platforms. It contributes to the message of openness.

-Dave

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El mar 29, 2016, a las 2:02 PM, Joe Groff via swift-dev <swift-dev@swift.org> escribió:

-Joe

Swift deploys back to OS X 10.9. We're only talking about developers.

Dmitri

···

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 11:29 AM, Andrew Hyatt via swift-dev <swift-dev@swift.org> wrote:

Agreed. The minimum OS X version for Xcode 7.3 is 10.11.0, which would make El Capitan required to run Swift 3.0.

--
main(i,j){for(i=2;;i++){for(j=2;j<i;j++){if(!(i%j)){j=0;break;}}if
(j){printf("%d\n",i);}}} /*Dmitri Gribenko <gribozavr@gmail.com>*/

If Xcode 7.3 requires 10.11, I'd say it's likely that the version of Xcode that includes Swift 3 will need to be hosted on 10.11 as well. You can still use the tools to build binaries targeting back to Mavericks, though.

- Andrew Hyatt
ahyattdev@icloud.com

Would this be a temporary limitation? I'd prefer to see Swift available to any development environment even on Apple Platforms.

Practically, you're dependent on Apple's tools to build anything for Apple platforms already. We don't support any third-party linkers for Darwin.

-Joe

···

On Mar 29, 2016, at 11:29 AM, Andrew Hyatt <ahyattdev@icloud.com> wrote:

On Mar 29, 2016, at 11:23, David Abraham via swift-dev <swift-dev@swift.org> wrote:

It contributes to the message of openness.

-Dave

Enviado desde mi iPhone

-Joe