• What is your evaluation of the proposal?
Extremely strong +1.
Unlike others, I agree with the proposed deprecation of
BitwiseOperations. It's not pulling its own weight under this new model.
I encourage other reviewers to try, as the proposal suggests, to come up
with a compelling user of just BitwiseOperations.
• Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a
change to Swift?
Yes; it's not as easy to work with integers in Swift 3 as floating
point, which is annoying, since integers are important to binary
• Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
The graph of methods and protocols is well-considered, and while it's
probably not mathematically perfect, I could easily see the API being
used to teach binary arithmetic.
• If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar
feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
I've tried (and failed) to use Swift's previous protocols for generic
• How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick
reading, or an in-depth study?
Thorough reading of previous revisions, glance through of this one.
Thanks for providing the updates section!
On Fri, Feb 17, 2017, at 08:45 PM, Joe Groff via swift-evolution wrote: