[Ranted]Allow to compare generic types without providing a signature specialization

I was expecting this line to solve your problem:

For your case you would do something like

if value is (any Behaviour) {
}

But any Behaviour and Behaviour<(URL) -> Void> are still different types. The former is the super type of the later, but they are not equal.

1 Like

Another formulation of this you might want to consider is an 'as?' cast that can introduce new generic parameters. For example,

let a: Dictionary = ["hi":1, "bye":2, "ok":3]

if let aa = a? as <K : Hashable, V> Dictionary<K, V> {
  if K.self == Int.self {
  }
}

If the cast succeeds, then the concrete type stored inside the Any is bound to Dictionary<K, V>, and you can refer to the abstract key and value types as K and V, with K known to conform to Hashable.

We've discussed adding something like this, at least internally, for SIL's generic specialization passes.

9 Likes

It sounds intriguing, but I can't wrap my head around this example; why a is accessed as it was optional? (with ? operator).

Anyway, the rest of the example looks interesting.

I assume that the type of aa becomes Dictionary<?,?> (? is analogous to java's existentials).
And existential parameterization could be very useful and a lot of people here need and want it already.

Do you know what is the current decision about this feature inside the core team? Shall we see it in swift 6? (7, 8 ...)?

It's not very useful to probe the core team at every junction. One of the better questions would be whether someone is implementing the feature. While the core team does make the call (and someone needs to make the call), Swift Evolution is more of a place to exchange the pros, cons and feasibility of the design rather than an authoritarian announcement. Also, believe it or not, the core team consists of multiple people (or that's what they want us to believe β–³πŸ‘), so there may not even be a consensus on a particular subject matter. While it is crucial that some broad strokes come from them, including the Principles for Trailing Closure Evolution Proposals, acquiring an opinion that represents the entire group takes a lot of effort.

1 Like

To clarify, I am not doing this routinely, nor I do it at every junction. These statements would be appropriate if I was doing it on a per-week basis for no constructive reason. If you had read the one (1) thread where I mentioned ct, @Ben_Cohen, you'd find (hopefully) that the matters discussed there worth your time; and also I don't know with whom to speak about issues that was raised there; they seemed like a design flaw. (Although I had some positive exchange with Jordan Rose).
The problem remains: I came across many threads in this cite and found that there are discussions about expanding the type system in many useful ways, yet there is no consistent answer to what is going to be implemented and when. Recently I encountered a case that resembled me about all that stuff with types and that made me curious about what is the current state of this topic; I doubt that there is a better candidate to be asked then the core team. Is that clear?

They are called core team. And it is about the time to do these things (or at least say if these ever going to be implemented), since their initial appearance, that happened somewhat ~2 years ago.

Lets summ up a bit: where are existential with associated types? If they going to appear?If yes, then when? And if yes, then would generic types, have the same feature of type erasure (see java' wildcard)?
There is also a question about mutability that is involved with all these things, but (since I spent more time on this forums than I should) I'll just wait until the official information that I heard coming.
So yes, if anyone on this site knows, where all this going to happen, then go ahead and tell me, would you? (answers will definitely impact many of my near-term decisions)

You're misunderstanding the role of the core team. It is more about approving/adjusting the proposal to maintain the coherence and overall swift-iness of the proposals. Of course, they could also work with the implementation but that's the same as essentially anyone in the community.

You can just ask the community at large. If anyone is working on it, asking on this forum (without mentioning anyone) will be just as good. On the same note, if there's no answer, it's likely that no one is working on it. Many features got in by someone in the communiy implementing them themselves, afterall.

6 Likes

Pretty. So the language which is not completely finished with its internals and foundational semantic is already given away to all the people out there who should "just" spend their time digging around the huge c++ codebase for no reward other than avowal, doing what essentially is the duty of the project initiator(apple/core team)? Is there at least a single vision of what it should become? Right now all I know is a bag of words such as 'disclosure of complexity' and 'something as a library feature', and a pile of design docs on git.

Yes, please! This would also be incredibly useful for unboxing existentials in to local generic parameters, allowing conditional downcasting to protocols with associated types. That’s a real limitation with the language we have today.

If you can write this:

if let aa = a? as <K : Hashable, V> Dictionary<K, V> {

It follows that this should also be possible:

if let aa = a? as <T: RandomAccessCollection> T {

2 Likes

Take a look at this forum. There are at least weekly new proposals for features and improvements of the language. Most of those proposals are worked on by volunteers, who neither work at Apple nor are in the core team.
Sure this process needs a bit more time, but you can't just overlook the massive improvements Swift has made in the last years.

And yes...there is quite a clear vision for the future of Swift, shared by a member of the core team over here.

3 Likes

It's a typo. I meant to write if let aa = a as? <...>.

I have no idea and I don't speak for the core team. I'm just suggesting your pitch is more likely to gain traction if you pursue this approach of binding new generic parameters, rather than allowing them to be simply omitted.

4 Likes

Ok, I see. I have another question, though: would a and aa from your example be equal when compared with is expression?

Software is never finished.

How many years between C++'s public introduction and the last new version?

I think the emphasis here is a little off.

Swift is a work in progress. Those who wish to work on it can. If it feels like a burden to do so, then don't do it (well unless someone is paying you to do it, and the pay beats out the burden).

The ability to work on an open source project is an extra option in people's lives, but not a requirement.

1 Like

That comparison is irrelevant, since cpp wasn't backed by a trillion-dollar company and a pack of people with math phds.

It is already used in production, so that statement is to be doubted.
There is no evidence of progress on important things like type system and fixing bugs with protocols. At least the mutability is coming. Hooray for that.

Please desist from posting. Your negative tone and thinly-veiled insults are unwelcome and unhelpful.

9 Likes

The beginning of the thread was fine. Then for some reason, people started publicly accusing me of things.

Perhaps English is not your first language, but your tone became very defensive early on. Most specifically about tagging the core team.

Words like this don't help your case:

The Swift development process is fairly well-understood at this point. There are Apple employees working on changes Apple wants (i.e. property wrappers and function builders). There's the core team, whose members work on what interests them (or what they get paid to work on), and there's 3rd-party contributors, who are like the core team, without the authority to merge into master.

This is besides the core team's role as moderators for 3rd-party contributions. And the key is that the core team is not required to work on anything the general public wants. The general public is both free and encouraged to work on what interests them the most, and to pitch and propose changes to be merged.

The negative feedback you've received in this area has been to this point, and you've either misunderstood it, or have chosen to ignore it.

17 Likes

I hesitate to wade into this, but a tangential note: C++ was developed by the dominant tech company of its day, which had a literal monopoly on nearly all telecommunications in the US, at a lab that employed about as many math PhDs as Apple ever has (e.g. my neighbor Doug, who is responsible for << as an iostream operator as well as UNIX pipes, is a math PhD, as were most of the people he managed there).

22 Likes

Ah, so now I know who to blame for the iostream operators. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

What do you think about the syntax:

if let aa = a as? Dictionary<let K:Hashable, let V> {
    if K.self == Int.self {
    }
}

I suppose that would make @Karl's suggestion:

if let aa = a as? let T:RandomAccessCollection
///Note: it would be just `as` without the type constraint

I get that it doesn't match the func myFunc<T> syntax quite as well, but I think it does clarify that the type value is dynamically being bound to the name T at that moment. It also matches switch syntax pretty well...

That's a lot of lets.