Quick question: Constraint Aliasing

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how hard (in terms of coding, not in terms of Swift Evolution process) it would be to adopt (1) `extension Set<ShippingOptions>` as an outright alias for `extension Set where Element == ShippingOptions` and (2) `extension [ShippingOptions]` for `extension Array where Element == ShippingOptions`?

Thanks,

-- E

I have the impression this would be simple enough because it would only live in the parser. But I'm no expert.

···

On 12 May 2017, at 01:50, Erica Sadun via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how hard (in terms of coding, not in terms of Swift Evolution process) it would be to adopt (1) `extension Set<ShippingOptions>` as an outright alias for `extension Set where Element == ShippingOptions` and (2) `extension [ShippingOptions]` for `extension Array where Element == ShippingOptions`?

Thanks,

-- E

You would need some way to tell the compiler which associated type goes
in the <>s.

···

on Thu May 11 2017, David Hart <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

I have the impression this would be simple enough because it would only live in the parser. But I'm
no expert.

--
-Dave

I have the impression this would be simple enough because it would only live in the parser. But I'm
no expert.

in the <>s.

I don’t think we are talking about associated types but only of generic arguments (Set, Array). But perhaps you’re going to say it’s a bad idea to promote (through a nicer syntax) writing generic algorithms over Array when they could be written against Sequence.

···

On 12 May 2017, at 09:05, Dave Abrahams via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

--
-Dave

I have the impression this would be simple enough because it would only live in the parser. But

I'm

no expert.

in the <>s.

I don’t think we are talking about associated types but only of
generic arguments (Set, Array).

Sorry, I missed that.

But perhaps you’re going to say it’s a bad idea to promote (through a
nicer syntax) writing generic algorithms over Array when they could be
written against Sequence.

I wasn't going to say that. ;-)

···

on Fri May 12 2017, David Hart <david-AT-hartbit.com> wrote:

On 12 May 2017, at 09:05, Dave Abrahams via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

--
-Dave