Proposal to remove semicolons

Hi,

I submitted a PR with a proposal to remove the swift end of line semicolons.

It was rejected because i didn't discuss it here. So here i'm discussing it :)

My proposal is simple: remove the semicolons in the end of lines.
It isn't needed and makes the code ugly.
It must be decided wether to use it or not for every project we start in the coding style.

What do you think?

João Nunes

···

Sent from my iPhone

Swift already doesn’t require semicolons, so I’m confused.

Are you saying you want to make this invalid?

let df = 12
    let db = 12; // do not allow this line?

And would you disallow constructs like this (single-line, multi-statements)?

var x = 10; x = 12

-David

···

On Dec 13, 2015, at 6:12 AM, João Nunes via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Hi,

It must be decided wether to use it or not for every project we start in the coding style.

What do you think?

João Nunes

Sent from my iPhone

Semicolons are already optional at the end of lines and only required to separate multiple statements on the same line (and for C for loops, but changing the grammar of those or removing them is a different topic.

If your proposal is to make a semicolon at the end of a single line invalid syntax, that's fine with me, although it seems like an unnecessarily small change to the grammar (and something better handled by a linter). If your proposal is to remove the semicolon as a way to separate multiple statements on the single line, then -1.

Austin

···

On Dec 13, 2015, at 6:12 AM, João Nunes via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Hi,

What do you think?

João Nunes

Sent from my iPhone

You should link to the proposal you've written.

The only instances of semicolons at the end of the line I had in my code in
the last months were placed there by mistake or when converting code from
ObjC.
First thing I do when migrating ObjC code to Swift is to "Find All" -> ";"
-> "Replace With" -> ""

I'm fine with allowing them only in C-style for loops and to separate
multiple statements on the same line, so +1 :)
A migration can easily fix all of them at once.

···

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 3:12 PM, João Nunes <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Hi,

I submitted a PR with a proposal to remove the swift end of line
semicolons.

It was rejected because i didn't discuss it here. So here i'm discussing
it :)

It must be decided wether to use it or not for every project we start in
the coding style.

What do you think?

João Nunes

Sent from my iPhone

A word of warning on this - I’ve just hit a case where an end of line semicolon is actually critical!

If you’re debugging and need an early exit from a function, you add “return” somewhere in the middle of the code. But return can take an argument, so the compiler takes the argument from the following line which you think won’t be executed. Bad things happen, followed by swearing.

So in that particular case, you do in fact need to write:

return;

There may be other edge cases where it’s necessary to explicitly mark the end of something in the same way.

Chris Wood

···

Hi,

What do you think?

João Nunes

Sent from my iPhone

I'm also game for making them invalid syntax.

The only time I've seen `;` in my code is from my old Obj-C habit.

···

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 12:25 PM Austin Zheng via swift-evolution < swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Semicolons are already optional at the end of lines and only required to
separate multiple statements on the same line (and for C for loops, but
changing the grammar of those or removing them is a different topic.

If your proposal is to make a semicolon at the end of a single line
invalid syntax, that's fine with me, although it seems like an
unnecessarily small change to the grammar (and something better handled by
a linter). If your proposal is to remove the semicolon as a way to separate
multiple statements on the single line, then -1.

Austin

> On Dec 13, 2015, at 6:12 AM, João Nunes via swift-evolution < > swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I submitted a PR with a proposal to remove the swift end of line
semicolons.
>
> It was rejected because i didn't discuss it here. So here i'm discussing
it :)
>
> My proposal is simple: remove the semicolons in the end of lines.
> It isn't needed and makes the code ugly.
> It must be decided wether to use it or not for every project we start in
the coding style.
>
> What do you think?
>
> João Nunes
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> _______________________________________________
> swift-evolution mailing list
> swift-evolution@swift.org
> https://lists.swift.org/mailman/listinfo/swift-evolution

--
Best,

Arthur / Sabintsev.com

I think end-of-line semicolons are ugly. I also think the decision to use them or not use them
should be left to individuals and not enforced by the compiler.

In the current implementation a semicolon can be optionally added after any statement and
is proactively used to separate statements on a single line. Changing the language to enforce
what appears to be a style choice is not something I'd support.

The issue with the return needing a semicolon sounds odd to me. I'm curious as to whether
that's something that needs fixing.

-- E

···

On Mar 16, 2016, at 9:25 AM, Chris Wood via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

A word of warning on this - I’ve just hit a case where an end of line semicolon is actually critical!

If you’re debugging and need an early exit from a function, you add “return” somewhere in the middle of the code. But return can take an argument, so the compiler takes the argument from the following line which you think won’t be executed. Bad things happen, followed by swearing.

return;

There may be other edge cases where it’s necessary to explicitly mark the end of something in the same way.

Chris Wood

Hi,

What do you think?

João Nunes

Sent from my iPhone

cc'ing the list back in to catch up on this.

-- E

···

On Mar 16, 2016, at 10:54 AM, Chris Wood <chris@interealtime.com> wrote:

I really need to remember the “reply to all” button for these mailing lists. *Facepalm* :)

Chris

On Mar 16, 2016, at 4:25 PM, Chris Wood <chris@interealtime.com> wrote:

I suspect it does (haven’t tested it), but the chances of there being a function that returns Void and a line of code that returns Void are fairly good (especially in UI code).

Chris

On Mar 16, 2016, at 4:16 PM, Erica Sadun <erica@ericasadun.com> wrote:

Well that makes sense to me honestly unless you think there should be some condition that
a return value should at least start on the same line as the return keyword. Although you'd
think the closure would know if it's -> Void or -> T and parse the return accordingly

-- E

On Mar 16, 2016, at 9:37 AM, Chris Wood <chris@interealtime.com <mailto:chris@interealtime.com>> wrote:

Erica:

The return case is (supposedly) handled as a compiler warning. It does warn that code on following lines will be treated as an argument to the return call normally (it does in a simple test project or playground). Except in the code I’m working on, it didn’t warn and happily compiled (and there was much swearing as a result!)

That looks like a compiler bug, and I’ve filed a radar (25192157) already.

Personally I think the compiler warning (when it works) and a trailing semicolon is acceptable in this case (as there may be a time when I want arguments to ‘return’ on the next line for some obscure reason).

Chris Wood

On Mar 16, 2016, at 3:30 PM, Erica Sadun <erica@ericasadun.com <mailto:erica@ericasadun.com>> wrote:

I think end-of-line semicolons are ugly. I also think the decision to use them or not use them
should be left to individuals and not enforced by the compiler.

In the current implementation a semicolon can be optionally added after any statement and
is proactively used to separate statements on a single line. Changing the language to enforce
what appears to be a style choice is not something I'd support.

The issue with the return needing a semicolon sounds odd to me. I'm curious as to whether
that's something that needs fixing.

-- E

On Mar 16, 2016, at 9:25 AM, Chris Wood via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> wrote:

return;

Chris Wood

Hi,

What do you think?

João Nunes

Sent from my iPhone

+1 I think that let people do whatever they want if i makes them happy when it makes the code less readable is not a good idea. I support the notion that semicolon should not be allowed at end of line. It does nothing to help readability of the code. If it does nothing, it should go. Swift code should be easy to read, and in this case clarity wins. We have to break the semicolon habit :-)

Perhaps providing a warning fix-it which removes them from the end of all lines in the file. I suspect most cases the only reason people put it there is habit or they are converting old code from another language.

- Paul

+1 to “better handled by a linter.” As with the “required self.” proposal, this seems better suited to an external style checker than to a language rule.

SwiftLint can already generate warnings and errors that look exactly like compiler errors in Xcode for those who want the seamlessness of a language rule.

If the language provides a construct, there are always unforeseen consequences to not providing it in its full generality, even when good style dictates narrower usage. For example: this proposal might complicate Swift code generation. I know, code generation, who wants that, yuck, right? But there are time when it’s the right solution, and being able to just concatenate things with terminating semicolons and not have worry about an arbitrary EOL rule would make a generator’s job easier.

Cheers, P

···

On Dec 14, 2015, at 12:04 PM, Arthur Ariel Sabintsev via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

I'm also game for making them invalid syntax.

The only time I've seen `;` in my code is from my old Obj-C habit.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 12:25 PM Austin Zheng via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> wrote:
Semicolons are already optional at the end of lines and only required to separate multiple statements on the same line (and for C for loops, but changing the grammar of those or removing them is a different topic.

If your proposal is to make a semicolon at the end of a single line invalid syntax, that's fine with me, although it seems like an unnecessarily small change to the grammar (and something better handled by a linter). If your proposal is to remove the semicolon as a way to separate multiple statements on the single line, then -1.

Austin

> On Dec 13, 2015, at 6:12 AM, João Nunes via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I submitted a PR with a proposal to remove the swift end of line semicolons.
>
> It was rejected because i didn't discuss it here. So here i'm discussing it :)
>
> My proposal is simple: remove the semicolons in the end of lines.
> It isn't needed and makes the code ugly.
> It must be decided wether to use it or not for every project we start in the coding style.
>
> What do you think?
>
> João Nunes
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> _______________________________________________
> swift-evolution mailing list
> swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>
> https://lists.swift.org/mailman/listinfo/swift-evolution

--
Best,

Arthur / Sabintsev.com

Paul

The semicolon is actually needed still to avoid accidental multi-line statements. E.g. these functions behave differently:

func doNothing1() {
break
print(“This text gets printed”)
}
func doNothing2() {
break;
print(“This text isn’t printed”)
}

Until odd cases like this can be avoided, I think semicolons are still (though very rarely) necessary.

Chris

···

On Mar 17, 2016, at 3:25 PM, Paul Ossenbruggen <possen@gmail.com> wrote:

+1 I think that let people do whatever they want if i makes them happy when it makes the code less readable is not a good idea. I support the notion that semicolon should not be allowed at end of line. It does nothing to help readability of the code. If it does nothing, it should go. Swift code should be easy to read, and in this case clarity wins. We have to break the semicolon habit :-)

Perhaps providing a warning fix-it which removes them from the end of all lines in the file. I suspect most cases the only reason people put it there is habit or they are converting old code from another language.

- Paul

Sorry, that was a terrible example which doesn’t work (typing code into an email at this point in the afternoon isn’t a good idea it seems!)

I made a simple example project to show the issue. Two methods in the view controller, different behaviour depending on the trailing semicolon:

http://interealtime.com/misc/Semicolon.zip

This scenario would be ‘wrong’ in general code, but is pretty common during debugging - and that trailing semicolon is actually necessary in this case (I hit this for real yesterday).

Chris

···

On Mar 17, 2016, at 3:44 PM, Chris Wood <chris@interealtime.com> wrote:

Paul

The semicolon is actually needed still to avoid accidental multi-line statements. E.g. these functions behave differently:

func doNothing1() {
break
}
func doNothing2() {
break;
}

Until odd cases like this can be avoided, I think semicolons are still (though very rarely) necessary.

Chris

- Paul

This seems like unexpected behavior and if the user intended it to return a value, it should be moved to the return line. The compiler is smart enough to warn about it and the warning goes away when you move the line up. If there is an issue where they need something that spans multiple lines putting it parenthesis would allow that.

@IBAction func makeRed() {
    return
self.view.backgroundColor = UIColor.redColor()
  }

···

On Mar 17, 2016, at 9:12 AM, Chris Wood <chris@interealtime.com> wrote:

Sorry, that was a terrible example which doesn’t work (typing code into an email at this point in the afternoon isn’t a good idea it seems!)

I made a simple example project to show the issue. Two methods in the view controller, different behaviour depending on the trailing semicolon:

http://interealtime.com/misc/Semicolon.zip

This scenario would be ‘wrong’ in general code, but is pretty common during debugging - and that trailing semicolon is actually necessary in this case (I hit this for real yesterday).

Chris

On Mar 17, 2016, at 3:44 PM, Chris Wood <chris@interealtime.com> wrote:

Paul

func doNothing1() {
    break
}
func doNothing2() {
    break;
}

Chris

- Paul