Proposal Idea : Library (third party) Importable Checking

This is a thought from a current problem I am running into (and have ran into in the past).

If you want to write any code using a library, you must have that library imported into the file. Totally cool with this for most cases.

Situation :

Building a third party library that can be used by others to simplify working with server APIs. I want to give the developer an option to use another third party library within mine. However, I don’t want my library to depend on the other library.

Possible Solution :

Add a system that does two things. 1) Checks for a library and if found imports it into file. 2) Checks if library is imported and allows source kit to parse conditional scope.

@importable ThirdPartyLibrary // would check if library is added to project and import it

if #imported(ThirdPartyLibrary) {

// would check if library is imported before source kit parses scope

// if library is not imported
    // scope would remain unparsed
    // scope could be removed as if it were a comment

}

Thanks.

Designer . Developer .  Nerd
Jo Albright

This seems useful. Concrete syntax–wise, my first thought would be "import?
ThirdPartyLibrary".

···

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 9:22 AM, Jo Albright via swift-evolution < swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

This is a thought from a current problem I am running into (and have ran
into in the past).

If you want to write any code using a library, you must have that library
imported into the file. Totally cool with this for most cases.

Situation :

Building a third party library that can be used by others to simplify
working with server APIs. I want to give the developer an option to use
another third party library within mine. However, I don’t want my library
to depend on the other library.

Possible Solution :

Add a system that does two things. 1) Checks for a library and if found
imports it into file. 2) Checks if library is imported and allows source
kit to parse conditional scope.

@importable ThirdPartyLibrary // would check if library is added to
project and import it

}

Thanks.

Jo Albright

Interesting idea. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, it seems to me you could kill both birds with one stone. If we add an 'importable' predicate to the 'if' language, then you can already use that to conditionalize the import:

if importable(ThirdPartyLibrary)
import ThirdPartyLibrary
/* decls that depend on library */
#endif

-Joe

···

On Jan 14, 2016, at 9:22 AM, Jo Albright via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

This is a thought from a current problem I am running into (and have ran into in the past).

If you want to write any code using a library, you must have that library imported into the file. Totally cool with this for most cases.

Situation :

Building a third party library that can be used by others to simplify working with server APIs. I want to give the developer an option to use another third party library within mine. However, I don’t want my library to depend on the other library.

Possible Solution :

Add a system that does two things. 1) Checks for a library and if found imports it into file. 2) Checks if library is imported and allows source kit to parse conditional scope.

@importable ThirdPartyLibrary // would check if library is added to project and import it

}

Thanks.

I would suggest extending the existing @available syntax rather than using #imported. Either way, though, I like it.

···

On Jan 14, 2016, at 09:22, Jo Albright via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Situation :

Possible Solution :

}

Thanks.

Jo Albright

Interesting idea. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, it seems to me you could kill both birds with one stone. If we add an 'importable' predicate to the 'if' language, then you can already use that to conditionalize the import:

import ThirdPartyLibrary
#endif

-Joe

I am totally on board with that idea… since you could declare a type outside of the “if importable” scope and add an extension inside the scope.

Jo Albright

If it's meant to be included in a library, don't we need a linkage mechanism that will expose these symbols only if another library is linked in?

Félix

···

Le 15 janv. 2016 à 01:43:16, Jo Albright via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> a écrit :

import ThirdPartyLibrary
#endif

-Joe

I am totally on board with that idea… since you could declare a type outside of the “if importable” scope and add an extension inside the scope.

Jo Albright

If it's meant to be included in a library, don't we need a linkage mechanism that will expose these symbols only if another library is linked in?

I see, that's the part I missed. If you wanted these symbols to be conditionally available, that would indeed require a new language, and probably dynamic linker, feature. You could however manage this without any new features, by adding the extensions in a third library dependent on the two base libraries.

-Joe

···

On Jan 14, 2016, at 11:17 PM, Félix Cloutier <felixcca@yahoo.ca> wrote:

Félix

Le 15 janv. 2016 à 01:43:16, Jo Albright via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> a écrit :

import ThirdPartyLibrary
#endif

-Joe

Jo Albright

Sad news. Thanks for looking into it.

Jo Albright

···

On Jan 15, 2016, at 2:46 PM, Joe Groff <jgroff@apple.com> wrote:

On Jan 14, 2016, at 11:17 PM, Félix Cloutier <felixcca@yahoo.ca <mailto:felixcca@yahoo.ca>> wrote:

I see, that's the part I missed. If you wanted these symbols to be conditionally available, that would indeed require a new language, and probably dynamic linker, feature. You could however manage this without any new features, by adding the extensions in a third library dependent on the two base libraries.

-Joe

Félix

Le 15 janv. 2016 à 01:43:16, Jo Albright via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> a écrit :

import ThirdPartyLibrary
#endif

-Joe

Jo Albright