Proposal: Contiguous Variables (A.K.A. Fixed Sized Array Type)

The advantage in going with a "only allow a single member of type T that initializes across the entire tuple" is that it enforces safety and simplicity.

-- E

···

On Jan 29, 2016, at 11:43 AM, Joe Groff via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

On Jan 28, 2016, at 9:24 PM, Félix Cloutier <felixcca@yahoo.ca> wrote:

To me, it's closely related to the declaration issue. By introducing a (N x Type) syntax, we're solving the LHS problem but leaving the RHS problem intact. If we want to spin it off into a separate proposal, I think that the most logical split is to have a proposal for subscripts on uniform tuples, and a a proposal for the shorthand syntax and a way to initialize values of these types.

Just spitballing…we could bring the N x <expr> syntax to expressions as well, so that (5 x 0) is (0,0,0,0,0), and maybe (1, 3 x 0, 2) is (1, 0, 0, 0, 2). With integer literals it's hard to tell which side is which, though...

-Joe

How about:
  FixedSizeBuffer(0)

We introduce initializer expression syntax for tuples that takes an element, and define it to be a splat in the case of a homogenous tuple, or an error if not.

-Chris

···

On Jan 29, 2016, at 11:23 AM, Jordan Rose via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

On Jan 29, 2016, at 10:43, Joe Groff via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> wrote:

On Jan 28, 2016, at 9:24 PM, Félix Cloutier <felixcca@yahoo.ca <mailto:felixcca@yahoo.ca>> wrote:

To me, it's closely related to the declaration issue. By introducing a (N x Type) syntax, we're solving the LHS problem but leaving the RHS problem intact. If we want to spin it off into a separate proposal, I think that the most logical split is to have a proposal for subscripts on uniform tuples, and a a proposal for the shorthand syntax and a way to initialize values of these types.

Just spitballing…we could bring the N x <expr> syntax to expressions as well, so that (5 x 0) is (0,0,0,0,0), and maybe (1, 3 x 0, 2) is (1, 0, 0, 0, 2). With integer literals it's hard to tell which side is which, though...

Throwing out some possibilities:

var buffer: FixedSizeBuffer = (0...)
var buffer: FixedSizeBuffer = (* x 0)
var buffer: FixedSizeBuffer = (repeat 0)

The fact that this could be used in expressions is making the N x T syntax
grow on me.

(N x T) := (T, T, ...)
(N x <expr>) := (<expr>, <expr>, ...)

It has a nice symmetry.

···

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 1:43 PM, Joe Groff via swift-evolution < swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2016, at 9:24 PM, Félix Cloutier <felixcca@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
> To me, it's closely related to the declaration issue. By introducing a
(N x Type) syntax, we're solving the LHS problem but leaving the RHS
problem intact. If we want to spin it off into a separate proposal, I think
that the most logical split is to have a proposal for subscripts on uniform
tuples, and a a proposal for the shorthand syntax and a way to initialize
values of these types.

Just spitballing…we could bring the N x <expr> syntax to expressions as
well, so that (5 x 0) is (0,0,0,0,0), and maybe (1, 3 x 0, 2) is (1, 0, 0,
0, 2). With integer literals it's hard to tell which side is which,
though...

-Joe

--
Trent Nadeau

Speaking of spitballing, these can be nested/composed, right?
let x = (3 x (0, 2 x “”), 2 x NSFileManager())

Looks like there’s a missing set of parenthesis. I would expect:

let x = ((3 x (0, 2 x “”)), (2 x NSFileManager()))

To gives these result

So, I think that this would be correct:
let x0 = x.0 // is ((Int, (String, String)), (Int, (String, String)), (Int, (String, String)))
let x1 = x.1 // is (NSFileManager, NSFileManager)
let xIdx0 = x.0[0] // is (Int, (String, String))

Can we implicitly “unzip” the implicit "arrays”, as well?
let x00 = x.0.0 // is (Int, Int, Int)… equivalent to let x00 = x.0.map { $0.0 }
let x01 = x.0.1 // is ((String, String), (String, String), (String, String))… equivalent to let x01 = x.0.map { $0.1 }

As for the original
let x = (3 x (0, 2 x “”), 2 x NSFileManager())

The results would be:
let x0 = x.0 // is (Int, (String, String)
let x3 = x.3 // is NSFileManager
let xIdx0 = x.0[0] // is Int

Dany

···

Le 29 janv. 2016 à 14:13, Dave via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> a écrit :

On Jan 29, 2016, at 10:43, Joe Groff via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> wrote:

On Jan 28, 2016, at 9:24 PM, Félix Cloutier <felixcca@yahoo.ca <mailto:felixcca@yahoo.ca>> wrote:

-Joe

Bare juxtaposition might be problematic if we ever do introduce type-level integer expressions, though.

-Joe

···

On Jan 28, 2016, at 2:37 PM, Joe Groff <jgroff@apple.com> wrote:

On Jan 28, 2016, at 2:36 PM, Jacob Bandes-Storch <jtbandes@gmail.com> wrote:

I like this idea, but the syntax seems dangerously close to a call site for "func *(lhs: Int, rhs: Any.Type)" (which is obviously ill-advised, but it is allowed).

Maybe we could take advantage of something which would be very invalid under the current grammar, namely (n T) rather than (n * T):

let values: (4 Int) = (1, 2, 3, 4)

How about:

let values:Int[4] = (1,2,3,4)

While it looks a bit like a subscript, it doesn’t make sense in a type declaration at present, so could be a good way to define restrictions of this type (we could even extend it to collections later). If the similarity is too close then:

let values:(Int[4]) = (1,2,3,4)

Could work too? Just some alternatives anyway, as I like the idea.

···

On 28 Jan 2016, at 22:37, Joe Groff via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

I like this idea, but the syntax seems dangerously close to a call site for "func *(lhs: Int, rhs: Any.Type)" (which is obviously ill-advised, but it is allowed).

Maybe we could take advantage of something which would be very invalid under the current grammar, namely (n T) rather than (n * T):

Sure, or we could lift (4 x Int) from LLVM IR's syntax.

What is a "type-level integer expression"? The only thing I can think of is
allowing numeric parameters to generics, like "Tuple<4, Int>", but I don't
think that's what you're talking about.

Jacob

···

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Joe Groff <jgroff@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2016, at 2:37 PM, Joe Groff <jgroff@apple.com> wrote:
>
>
>> On Jan 28, 2016, at 2:36 PM, Jacob Bandes-Storch <jtbandes@gmail.com> > wrote:
>>
>> I like this idea, but the syntax seems dangerously close to a call site
for "func *(lhs: Int, rhs: Any.Type)" (which is obviously ill-advised,
but it is allowed).
>>
>> Maybe we could take advantage of something which would be very invalid
under the current grammar, namely (n T) rather than (n * T):
>>
>> let values: (4 Int) = (1, 2, 3, 4)

Bare juxtaposition might be problematic if we ever do introduce type-level
integer expressions, though.

-Joe

This kind of syntax doesn't compose well with other type productions. If you parse Int[N][M] naively as (Int[N])[M], then you end up with an array of M (array of N (Int)), which ends up subscripting in the opposite order, array[0..<M][0..<N]. C works around this by flipping the order of multiple array indices in a type declaration, so int [n][m] is really (int [m]) [n], but this doesn't work well for Swift, which has other postfix type productions—how would Int[N]?[M] parse? Choosing a prefix notation for fixed-sized array bounds is better IMO to avoid these pitfalls.

-Joe

···

On Jan 28, 2016, at 4:04 PM, Haravikk <e-mail@haravikk.me> wrote:

On 28 Jan 2016, at 22:37, Joe Groff via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> wrote:

On Jan 28, 2016, at 2:36 PM, Jacob Bandes-Storch <jtbandes@gmail.com <mailto:jtbandes@gmail.com>> wrote:

How about:

While it looks a bit like a subscript, it doesn’t make sense in a type declaration at present, so could be a good way to define restrictions of this type (we could even extend it to collections later). If the similarity is too close then:

I find

let values: (4 x Int) = (1, 2, 3, 4)

to be adequately cromulent. I believe this approach to be:

* Readable, even to someone unfamiliar with the syntax
* The parens before the assignment suggest something to do with tuples, and the numbers match the arity after the assignment
* The type is preserved in-place
* It's compact, elegant, simple

-- E

···

On Jan 28, 2016, at 5:56 PM, Joe Groff via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

On Jan 28, 2016, at 4:04 PM, Haravikk <e-mail@haravikk.me <mailto:e-mail@haravikk.me>> wrote:

On 28 Jan 2016, at 22:37, Joe Groff via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> wrote:

On Jan 28, 2016, at 2:36 PM, Jacob Bandes-Storch <jtbandes@gmail.com <mailto:jtbandes@gmail.com>> wrote:

How about:

This kind of syntax doesn't compose well with other type productions. If you parse Int[N][M] naively as (Int[N])[M], then you end up with an array of M (array of N (Int)), which ends up subscripting in the opposite order, array[0..<M][0..<N]. C works around this by flipping the order of multiple array indices in a type declaration, so int [n][m] is really (int [m]) [n], but this doesn't work well for Swift, which has other postfix type productions—how would Int[N]?[M] parse? Choosing a prefix notation for fixed-sized array bounds is better IMO to avoid these pitfalls.

-Joe

I don't like how similar-but-not-quite-the-same it is as the array declaration syntax. That would make it Int[4] for a fixed-size array and [Int] for an array of dynamic size.

I like that (4 x Int) is inside parentheses, which is code for "tuple" right now.

Related question: can you initialize a uniform tuple/contiguous variable with an array literal?

Félix

···

Le 28 janv. 2016 à 19:04:50, Haravikk via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> a écrit :

How about:

What about (n of Type)?

···

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse brevity and errors

On Jan 28, 2016, at 7:32 PM, Félix Cloutier via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Currently, arrays contained in C structures are exported as tuples to Swift. If tuples need magic to align like C arrays, that magic already exists. Operators can't appear inside a type, so I don't think that it would be a problem to reuse * there either.

Aesthetically speaking, I think that (N x Type) looks better than (N * Type), but I don't like that (0xBeef) is either a tuple of 0 Beef objects or a hex number, which would be a problem if Swift must allow integers a type parameters.

Félix

Le 28 janv. 2016 à 22:12:29, Justin Kolb via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> a écrit :

I’m not sure I like the fact that they would be associated with tuples. As far as I’m aware tuples don’t have a public or well documented memory layout and most likely it would be better to keep them that way. To be compatible with C a fixed size array would have to have similar memory layout requirements. Also I assume there was a reason not to allow subscripting of tuples originally and adding it to something similar might confuse things. If any of these things are non-issues then I’m fine with them looking like tuples. I do think they will need to be able to be initialized with array like initializers in some form.

I somewhat wish they would have been added in originally as it seems like it will be trickier to find a good form that isn’t already taken. I think it would probably be problematic for the parser to make use of `*` or `x`. Maybe after moving the count to the front of the declaration `:` would end up being different enough from other uses of `:` to make this work:

let values: (4:Int)

On Jan 28, 2016, at 9:04 PM, Trent Nadeau <tanadeau@gmail.com> wrote:

That looks great except that I would prefer (4 * Int). Having "x" as an operator looks very odd to me, and it doesn't fit with the rest of the language.

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 8:07 PM, Erica Sadun via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

I find

* The parens before the assignment suggest something to do with tuples, and the numbers match the arity after the assignment

-- E

On Jan 28, 2016, at 5:56 PM, Joe Groff via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

On 28 Jan 2016, at 22:37, Joe Groff via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

How about:

-Joe

--
Trent Nadeau

What about "(n of Type)"?

···

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse brevity and errors

On Jan 28, 2016, at 7:32 PM, Félix Cloutier via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Currently, arrays contained in C structures are exported as tuples to Swift. If tuples need magic to align like C arrays, that magic already exists. Operators can't appear inside a type, so I don't think that it would be a problem to reuse * there either.

Aesthetically speaking, I think that (N x Type) looks better than (N * Type), but I don't like that (0xBeef) is either a tuple of 0 Beef objects or a hex number, which would be a problem if Swift must allow integers a type parameters.

Félix

Le 28 janv. 2016 à 22:12:29, Justin Kolb via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> a écrit :

I’m not sure I like the fact that they would be associated with tuples. As far as I’m aware tuples don’t have a public or well documented memory layout and most likely it would be better to keep them that way. To be compatible with C a fixed size array would have to have similar memory layout requirements. Also I assume there was a reason not to allow subscripting of tuples originally and adding it to something similar might confuse things. If any of these things are non-issues then I’m fine with them looking like tuples. I do think they will need to be able to be initialized with array like initializers in some form.

I somewhat wish they would have been added in originally as it seems like it will be trickier to find a good form that isn’t already taken. I think it would probably be problematic for the parser to make use of `*` or `x`. Maybe after moving the count to the front of the declaration `:` would end up being different enough from other uses of `:` to make this work:

That looks great except that I would prefer (4 * Int). Having "x" as an operator looks very odd to me, and it doesn't fit with the rest of the language.

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 8:07 PM, Erica Sadun via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

I find

-- E

How about:

-Joe

--
Trent Nadeau

I find

+1. I like this syntax too, and with Joe’s other proposed extensions, it would all fit together nicely. Anyone interested in writing up a proposal?

-Chris

···

On Jan 28, 2016, at 5:07 PM, Erica Sadun via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

-- E

On Jan 28, 2016, at 5:56 PM, Joe Groff via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> wrote:

On Jan 28, 2016, at 4:04 PM, Haravikk <e-mail@haravikk.me <mailto:e-mail@haravikk.me>> wrote:

How about:

-Joe

One other tweak worth considering: instead of subscript being defined on a tuple as returning a common type, a more modest proposal would be that subscript is defined on tuples that:

a) have no element labels.
b) all have the same element type.

This would solve the fixed size array use-case, be much easier to implement, and not have surprising performance issues promoting things to Any. It is also consistent with the fact that we don’t infer the type of [Int(), Float()] to [Any].

-Chris

···

On Jan 28, 2016, at 7:57 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner@apple.com> wrote:

On Jan 28, 2016, at 5:07 PM, Erica Sadun via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> wrote:

I find

+1. I like this syntax too, and with Joe’s other proposed extensions, it would all fit together nicely. Anyone interested in writing up a proposal?

···

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 8:07 PM, Erica Sadun via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> wrote:
I find

-- E

On Jan 28, 2016, at 5:56 PM, Joe Groff via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> wrote:

How about:

-Joe

--
Trent Nadeau

I don't think this is an issue. Practically speaking, there isn't anything we could do layout-wise for a homogeneous tuple in memory that would be better than a contiguous array.

-Joe

···

On Jan 28, 2016, at 7:12 PM, Justin Kolb <justin.kolb@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm not sure this prevents anything, since labeled tuples implicitly convert to unlabeled tuples, and tuples support structural subtyping, so (Derived, Derived) is-a (Base, Base) is-an (Any, Any). Both of those type rules might be worth reconsidering on their own, of course, but otherwise you could still backdoor your way into subscripting a heterogeneous and/or labeled tuple via those conversions.

-Joe

···

On Jan 28, 2016, at 8:00 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner@apple.com> wrote:

On Jan 28, 2016, at 7:57 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner@apple.com <mailto:clattner@apple.com>> wrote:

On Jan 28, 2016, at 5:07 PM, Erica Sadun via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> wrote:

I find

One other tweak worth considering: instead of subscript being defined on a tuple as returning a common type, a more modest proposal would be that subscript is defined on tuples that:

This would solve the fixed size array use-case, be much easier to implement, and not have surprising performance issues promoting things to Any. It is also consistent with the fact that we don’t infer the type of [Int(), Float()] to [Any].

That is good to hear as it should be easier to implement this feature then. I didn’t realize yet that C structs with arrays were imported like that, it helps me with the decision to settle with option 2 for now in the code I was planning to write.

I would expect that `0` would not be allowed for type declarations.

···

On Jan 28, 2016, at 9:32 PM, Félix Cloutier <felixcca@yahoo.ca> wrote:

Félix

Le 28 janv. 2016 à 22:12:29, Justin Kolb via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> a écrit :

On Jan 28, 2016, at 9:04 PM, Trent Nadeau <tanadeau@gmail.com <mailto:tanadeau@gmail.com>> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 8:07 PM, Erica Sadun via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> wrote:
I find

-- E

How about:

-Joe

--
Trent Nadeau

Hmm… Two dimensions tuples...
let matrix: (2 (4 Int)) = ( (1,2,3,4), (5,6,7,8) )
print(matrix.0.0, matrix.1.3) // display 1 and 8
// Output based on let matrix = ((1,2,3,4), (5,6,7,8))

The type is easier to read with LLVM IR syntax mentioned by Joe
let matrix: (2 x (4 x Int)) = ( (1,2,3,4), (5,6,7,8) )

A one dimensional tuple is supposed to be contiguous, but does the same behaviour apply to tuples of tuples?

Dany

···

Le 28 janv. 2016 à 19:56, Joe Groff via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> a écrit :

How about:

Right, I’d much rather see:
  let v = (someHeterogenousTuple as (4 x Any))[i]
Rather than:
  let v = someHeterogenousTuple[i]

given that the subscripting syntax is intended to be an efficient “array index” operation. I’m uncomfortable with an expensive representation-transforming operation that potentially involves heap allocation (when the tuple element is a struct larger than the Any existential rep) happening accidentally.

That said, perhaps there is a middle ground: we can use the same rules we use for array literals since array literals also don’t merge to Any as their common type. I see no concerns with using the common type for a heterogenous tuple of classes that have a common base class, for example, because that won’t be a representation change.

That said, I don’t think this will be a very important use case, so I’d be happy with subsetting that out of the base proposal, and adding it when there is a specific motivation for it.

-Chris

···

On Jan 28, 2016, at 9:25 PM, Joe Groff <jgroff@apple.com> wrote:

I'm not sure this prevents anything, since labeled tuples implicitly convert to unlabeled tuples, and tuples support structural subtyping, so (Derived, Derived) is-a (Base, Base) is-an (Any, Any). Both of those type rules might be worth reconsidering on their own, of course, but otherwise you could still backdoor your way into subscripting a heterogeneous and/or labeled tuple via those conversions.