Polymorphic methods in enums

(Pablo Bendersky) #1

Since I started using Swift, I've been drawn to enums for their features (associated values, type safety, etc.)

However, I noticed that in doing so, I lost some polymorphism. Consider the traffic light enum:

enum TrafficLight {
    case green
    case yellow
    case red
}

Let's say I want to add a canAdvance function, I'll end up with something like this (discussing if advancing in yellow is fine is out of the scope ;) )

enum TrafficLight {
    case green
    case yellow
    case red

func canAdvance() -> Bool {
        switch self {
            case .green:
                return true
            case .yellow, .red:
                return false
        }
    }
}

This works, but if your enum grows and needs more methods, we end up with a switch within each method.

What I'd love to see is a way to remove those switches, that can enable tidier code. I'm thinking on something like this:

enum TrafficLight {
    case green
    case yellow
    case red

return false
    }
}

extension TrafficLight where case .green {
        return true
    }
}

This would enable extensions on enums for each different case.

I don't know if this is easy (or even possible) to implement, plus, this is my first time writing on the forum, so any comments are welcome.

4 Likes
(TJ Usiyan) #2
extension TrafficLight  {
        if case .green = self {
            return true
        } else {
            return false
        }
    }
}
1 Like
(Anton Kovtun) #3

Sounds like constant expressions in generic where clause.

Also what about associated values?

(Pablo Bendersky) #4

I'm not sure how would I manage the syntax, but I guess we can access the associated value in the extension.

Maybe declaring the variable name in the same where clause, just as you do in if case.

(TJ Usiyan) #5

This proposal doesn't seem related to the original post. Compile time constant expressions, as far as I can tell, don't do much for extension parameters. That comes closer to having values at the type level, which has been discussed, but is not that proposal.

(Gwendal Roué) #6

Swift already provides polymorphism with classes and protocols. I don't know if enums will eventually enter this dance, too.

What I know is that you're not the only one who faces this dilemma: as a code base grows, the limitations of initial design choices start to appear. Swift has a few traps like that. Strengthening one's intuition on this matter is an acquired skill. Discussing those issues is important so that the community gets a large feedback on eventual language caveats. Finding which ones should be solved, and how, is another question ;-)

For the record, refactoring your particular case around protocols could give something along:

// What is a TrafficLight?
protocol TrafficLight {
    // customization point
    var canAdvance: Bool { get }
}
extension TrafficLight {
    // default value
    var canAdvance: Bool { return false }
}

// Three particular traffic lights
struct GreenLight: TrafficLight { var canAdvance: Bool { return true } }
struct OrangeLight: TrafficLight {}
struct RedLight: TrafficLight {}

// Using traffic lights
func handle(_ trafficLight: TrafficLight) {
    if trafficLight.canAdvance {
        print("drive")
    } else {
        print("wait")
    }
}

handle(GreenLight())  // drive
handle(OrangeLight()) // wait
(Pablo Bendersky) #7

This refactoring is how I usually handle it. But given that Swift affords us great enums, extending them to support this seemed like a good idea.

1 Like
(Erik Little) #8

This kind of feature reminds me of functional languages that allow you to provide different implementations depending on the runtime value of some parameter.

For example elixir:

def changeset(%User{} = user, %{"password" => pw} = attrs) when pw != "" do
    attrs = %{attrs | "password" => Bcrypt.hashpwsalt(pw)}

user
    |> cast(attrs, [:firstname, :lastname, :username, :password])
    |> validate_required([:firstname, :lastname, :username, :password])
    |> unique_constraint(:username)
  end

def changeset(%User{} = user, attrs) do
    user
    |> cast(attrs, [:firstname, :lastname, :username, :password])
    |> validate_required([:firstname, :lastname, :username, :password])
    |> unique_constraint(:username)
  end

or Haskell

factorial 0 = 1
factorial n = n * factorial (n - 1)
1 Like
(John McCall) #9

Those features are almost always just sugar for a switch, but I agree that they're awfully convenient anyway.

3 Likes
(Erik Little) #10

I wonder if this kind of feature would be feasible to add given the existing space engine for exhaustiveness checking if all this would be is a sugar for a single implementation with a switch deciding the body.

(Howard Lovatt) #11

Most of the JVM languages, Java/Scala/Kotlin, allow this. It is a feature I mis from these languages. In these languages each case of the enum is a seperate type with its own dispatch table. You can mimic this behaviour in Swift with a protocol for the enum and a struct implementing the protocol for each case but then you can’t then stop people adding new cases.

The Java syntax would probably work in Swift:

enum TrafficLight {
    case green {
        func canAdvance() -> Bool { return true }
    }
    case yellow {
        func canAdvance() -> Bool { return true }
    }
    case red {
        func canAdvance() -> Bool { return false }
    }

func canAdvance() -> Bool // Same syntax as declaring a func in a protocol. 
}
1 Like
(Jordan Rose) #12

See, this bit I don't get. That's more verbose than using a switch.

EDIT: I too think the current language feature is a little clunky. I just haven't seen anything less clunky yet.

13 Likes
(Pablo Bendersky) #13

I think it depends on the number of cases the enum has, and the number of methods in there.

I agree that the syntax plays a big role in how readable is.

(Tony Allevato) #14

It also doesn't work with unlabeled associated values, unfortunately. How would I refer to the integer in this example:

enum Foo {
  case bar(Int) {
    func someFunction() -> Int {
      return ???
    }
  }
}

We'd have to do something like graft in closure shorthand variables ($0?) or invent some other syntax for it.

But I agree with @jrose; every time I've thought of this problem, I haven't been able to figure out a sweet spot that doesn't just feel like shuffling the deck chairs while providing a concrete benefit.

(Erik Little) #15

This could be solved with a generalization of this to all functions.

enum Color {
  case red
  case green
  case blue
  case other(Int, Int, Int)

func something() when self = .other(50, g, b) {
  }

func something() when self = .other(r, g, b) {
  }

func something() { } // everything else
}
(John McCall) #16

Agreed about none of the alternatives seeming like improvements. Haskell's syntax for this is elegant, but it works because (1) the type signature is written separately and (2) the switched-on parameters are all explicit and so can be easily pattern-ized. In other words, it works because there's already some verbosity that people take for granted.

I wonder how much of the clunkiness here is just the extra level of bracing required. Like if you had:

func canAdvance() -> Int = switch { // implicitly over self
  case .green: return true
  default: return false
}
8 Likes
Syntactically nicer way of handling errors in Swift
(Erik Little) #17

From my experience, this would help a bit. Most enum methods I've written are generally very short, and very commonly a mapping between things. The biggest worry I have is it would erode some notions that statements in Swift aren't expressions. It begins to look like syntax you'd find in languages where this is the case.

1 Like
(Joe Groff) #18

Another riff on this general idea, maybe we could allow top-level case labels in function bodies:

func foo(x: A, y: B) -> String? {
case (x: .foo, y: .bar):
  return "foo bar"
case (x: .zim, y: .zang):
  return "zim zang"
default:
  return nil
}
6 Likes
(John McCall) #19

Hmm. Is that implicitly switching over all the non-self arguments packaged up as a tuple?

Implicitly switching over just self makes sense to me in an instance method. That's very analogous to the sorts of sugar used in other languages.

2 Likes
(Joe Groff) #20

Sure, maybe only implicitly switching over self makes more sense. If there's an elegant syntax to allow matching either self or other arguments or some combination thereof that might be nice.