[Pitch] Make `return` optional in computed properties for a single case

The idea is simple:

Can we make return keyword optional in cases like this?
Shouldn’t this behave like @autoclosure or @noescape?
type A {
    var characters: [Character] = …
    var string: String { String(self.characters) }
    var count: Int { 42 }
}
Is this worth a proposal or Swifty enough, what do you think?

Sure I could write return, but why do we allow this behavior for @noescape functions like map!?

···

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

The idea is simple:

• Can we make return keyword optional in cases like this?
  • Shouldn’t this behave like @autoclosure or @noescape?

This actually doesn't have anything to do with @autoclosure or @noescape. Any one-expression closure can omit the `return` statement and have an inferred return type.

type A {
}

Despite those inaccuracies, I do think that it's a good idea to permit single-expression accessors to omit the `return` statement; it will make them much less clunky. I would even extend this to cases where you use the `get` keyword:

var string: String {
    get { String(self.characters) }
    set { characters = Array(newValue.characters) }
  }

···

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies

The idea is simple:

This actually doesn't have anything to do with @autoclosure or @noescape. Any one-expression closure can omit the `return` statement and have an inferred return type.

type A {
}

Despite those inaccuracies, I do think that it's a good idea to permit single-expression accessors to omit the `return` statement; it will make them much less clunky. I would even extend this to cases where you use the `get` keyword:

}

+1. And in single-expression functions as well. This is something that should be consistent and allowed everywhere in the language.

···

Sent from my iPad
On May 27, 2016, at 6:15 PM, Brent Royal-Gordon via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies

While I am not necessarily against this idea, I do wonder if it’s worth making what’s going on here less obvious simply for the sake of being able to omit a six character keyword. As I understand it, one of the reasons ++/-- were removed was due to the increased "burden to learn Swift as a first programming language.” This is the sort of thing that becomes another one of those special cases that has to be explained to someone new to Swift.

/brian

···

On May 27, 2016, at 13:57, Adrian Zubarev via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

The idea is simple:

type A {
}

Sure I could write return, but why do we allow this behavior for @noescape functions like map!?

+ 1 from me as well for the already stated reasons.

- Dennis

···

On May 28, 2016, at 2:15 AM, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Sent from my iPad

On May 27, 2016, at 6:15 PM, Brent Royal-Gordon via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> wrote:

The idea is simple:

type A {
}

}

+1. And in single-expression functions as well. This is something that should be consistent and allowed everywhere in the language.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies

+1. Completely agree with Brent's views here.

···

On 28 May 2016, at 9:15 AM, Brent Royal-Gordon via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

The idea is simple:

type A {
}

}

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies

I’m a +1 to this, this is something that keeps catching me out as I’m so used to omitting return in other closures, and that’s essentially all a computer property is anyway so it makes sense for the behaviour to be consistent.

···

On 27 May 2016, at 18:57, Adrian Zubarev via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

The idea is simple:

type A {
}

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

+1. This has always tripped me up, I guess I felt there was a good reason for requiring you to add a `return`, but not sure what it would be.

···

On 28 May 2016, at 3:57 AM, Adrian Zubarev via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

The idea is simple:

type A {
}

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

It isn’t a special case because all other single-statement closures in the language work that way. It’s actually inconsistent now.

···

On 28 May 2016, at 09:03, Brian Christensen via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

On May 27, 2016, at 13:57, Adrian Zubarev via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

The idea is simple:

type A {
}

While I am not necessarily against this idea, I do wonder if it’s worth making what’s going on here less obvious simply for the sake of being able to omit a six character keyword. As I understand it, one of the reasons ++/-- were removed was due to the increased "burden to learn Swift as a first programming language.” This is the sort of thing that becomes another one of those special cases that has to be explained to someone new to Swift.

/brian

It isn’t a special case because all other single-statement closures in the language work that way. It’s actually inconsistent now.

···

On 28 May 2016, at 09:03, Brian Christensen via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

The idea is simple:

type A {
}

/brian

I'll write a small proposal tomorrow for that behavior (not only for computed properties of course)! Today I'm too busy.

Thank you for your positive feedback.

···

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

Am 28. Mai 2016 um 10:11:26, David Hart (david@hartbit.com(mailto:david@hartbit.com)) schrieb:

> On 28 May 2016, at 09:03, Brian Christensen via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>
> On May 27, 2016, at 13:57, Adrian Zubarev via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>
> > The idea is simple:
> >
> > • Can we make return keyword optional in cases like this?
> > • Shouldn’t this behave like @autoclosure or @noescape?
> > type A {
> > var characters: [Character] = …
> > var string: String { String(self.characters) }
> > var count: Int { 42 }
> > }
> >
> > Is this worth a proposal or Swifty enough, what do you think?
> >
> > Sure I could write return, but why do we allow this behavior for @noescape functions like map!?
>
> While I am not necessarily against this idea, I do wonder if it’s worth making what’s going on here less obvious simply for the sake of being able to omit a six character keyword. As I understand it, one of the reasons ++/-- were removed was due to the increased "burden to learn Swift as a first programming language.” This is the sort of thing that becomes another one of those special cases that has to be explained to someone new to Swift.
>
> /brian
>
> _______________________________________________
> swift-evolution mailing list
> swift-evolution@swift.org
> https://lists.swift.org/mailman/listinfo/swift-evolution

Computed properties aren’t closures so it’s not inconsistent in that sense. But it is inconsistent in that closures are the *only* value-returning code blocks that are able to use this sugar. It would be nice to see this sugar consistently allowed everywhere in the language.

···

On May 28, 2016, at 3:09 AM, David Hart via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

The idea is simple:

type A {
}

/brian

+1

L

···

On 31 May 2016 at 12:47, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

On May 28, 2016, at 3:09 AM, David Hart via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Computed properties aren’t closures so it’s not inconsistent in that sense. But it is inconsistent in that closures are the *only* value-returning code blocks that are able to use this sugar. It would be nice to see this sugar consistently allowed everywhere in the language.

The idea is simple:

type A {
}

/brian

Here is the draft proposal: https://github.com/DevAndArtist/swift-evolution/blob/single_expression_optional_return/proposals/nnnn-single-expression-optional-return.md

Did I covered everything case? If you find some mistakes feel free to provide feedback so I can fix the proposal before I submit a PR.

···

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

Am 31. Mai 2016 um 18:33:09, Leonardo Pessoa via swift-evolution (swift-evolution@swift.org) schrieb:

+1

L

On 31 May 2016 at 12:47, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

The idea is simple:

type A {
}

/brian

Here is the draft proposal: https://github.com/DevAndArtist/swift-evolution/blob/single_expression_optional_return/proposals/nnnn-single-expression-optional-return.md
Did I covered everything case? If you find some mistakes feel free to provide feedback so I can fix the proposal before I submit a PR.

This is a good start.

"Make return optional and infer return type for single-expressions everywhere in the language:”

Everywhere in the language is too strong. We should be more precise. I believe we are talking about top level code blocks that only contain a single expression for the following constructs in the grammar:

function-body
getter-setter-block
getter-clause
variable-declaration
subscript-declaration

Please remove the section on guard as any of the preceding will never have single expression top level code blocks if they contain a guard clause.

-Matthew

···

On May 31, 2016, at 12:35 PM, Adrian Zubarev via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

Am 31. Mai 2016 um 18:33:09, Leonardo Pessoa via swift-evolution (swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>) schrieb:

+1

L

On 31 May 2016 at 12:47, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution >> <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> wrote:
>
>> On May 28, 2016, at 3:09 AM, David Hart via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> It isn’t a special case because all other single-statement closures in the language work that way. It’s actually inconsistent now.
>
> Computed properties aren’t closures so it’s not inconsistent in that sense. But it is inconsistent in that closures are the *only* value-returning code blocks that are able to use this sugar. It would be nice to see this sugar consistently allowed everywhere in the language.
>
>>
>>> On 28 May 2016, at 09:03, Brian Christensen via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> On May 27, 2016, at 13:57, Adrian Zubarev via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>> The idea is simple:
>>>>
>>>> • Can we make return keyword optional in cases like this?
>>>> • Shouldn’t this behave like @autoclosure or @noescape?
>>>> type A {
>>>> var characters: [Character] = …
>>>> var string: String { String(self.characters) }
>>>> var count: Int { 42 }
>>>> }
>>>>
>>>> Is this worth a proposal or Swifty enough, what do you think?
>>>>
>>>> Sure I could write return, but why do we allow this behavior for @noescape functions like map!?
>>>
>>> While I am not necessarily against this idea, I do wonder if it’s worth making what’s going on here less obvious simply for the sake of being able to omit a six character keyword. As I understand it, one of the reasons ++/-- were removed was due to the increased "burden to learn Swift as a first programming language.” This is the sort of thing that becomes another one of those special cases that has to be explained to someone new to Swift.
>>>
>>> /brian
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> swift-evolution mailing list
>>> swift-evolution@swift.org
>>> https://lists.swift.org/mailman/listinfo/swift-evolution
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> swift-evolution mailing list
>> swift-evolution@swift.org
>> https://lists.swift.org/mailman/listinfo/swift-evolution
>
> swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>

Under "Proposed solution" you say (emphasis mine):

"Make return optional and infer return type for single-expressions everywhere in the language:"

However the return type isn't inferred for computed properties or functions, and I don't see type inference being discussed in the proposal (other than mentioning that closures have it).

- David

···

31 maj 2016 kl. 19:35 skrev Adrian Zubarev via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org>:

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

Am 31. Mai 2016 um 18:33:09, Leonardo Pessoa via swift-evolution (swift-evolution@swift.org) schrieb:

+1

L

On 31 May 2016 at 12:47, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution >> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>
>> On May 28, 2016, at 3:09 AM, David Hart via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> It isn’t a special case because all other single-statement closures in the language work that way. It’s actually inconsistent now.
>
> Computed properties aren’t closures so it’s not inconsistent in that sense. But it is inconsistent in that closures are the *only* value-returning code blocks that are able to use this sugar. It would be nice to see this sugar consistently allowed everywhere in the language.
>
>>
>>> On 28 May 2016, at 09:03, Brian Christensen via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> On May 27, 2016, at 13:57, Adrian Zubarev via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>> The idea is simple:
>>>>
>>>> type A {
>>>> }
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Sure I could write return, but why do we allow this behavior for @noescape functions like map!?
>>>
>>> While I am not necessarily against this idea, I do wonder if it’s worth making what’s going on here less obvious simply for the sake of being able to omit a six character keyword. As I understand it, one of the reasons ++/-- were removed was due to the increased "burden to learn Swift as a first programming language.” This is the sort of thing that becomes another one of those special cases that has to be explained to someone new to Swift.
>>>
>>> /brian
>>>
>>
>

Please remove the section on guard as any of the preceding will never have single expression top level code blocks if they contain a guard clause.
I didn’t get this at first but now I see your point, it’s because the whole returning scope will need `return` at the very end so `guard` should follow that rule.

···

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

Am 31. Mai 2016 um 21:00:43, Matthew Johnson (matthew@anandabits.com) schrieb:

I really like the proposal in case of properties and functions, but I really don't want to have
guard boolean else { "false" }

I feel like `return` is very important part of `guard` statement.
I understand the requirement for consistency with properties/closures/functions, but I'll prefer to have some inconsistency in language in this case and require `return` for `guard`. And in case I'll have to choose all-or-nothig, I'll give -1 for the proposal.

I.e. IMO current `return` in properties and functions is less evil than absent of `return` in `guard`.

···

On 31.05.2016 20:35, Adrian Zubarev via swift-evolution wrote:

Here is the draft proposal:
https://github.com/DevAndArtist/swift-evolution/blob/single_expression_optional_return/proposals/nnnn-single-expression-optional-return.md

Did I covered everything case? If you find some mistakes feel free to
provide feedback so I can fix the proposal before I submit a PR.

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

Am 31. Mai 2016 um 18:33:09, Leonardo Pessoa via swift-evolution
(swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>) schrieb:

+1

L

On 31 May 2016 at 12:47, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution >> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>
>>
>
>
>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> The idea is simple:
>>>>
>>>> type A {
>>>> }
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> /brian
>>>
>>
>

I'd interpret that as being able to write:
var x: Int8 { 20 }
as opposed to:
var x: Int8 { Int8(20) }

- Dave Sweeris

···

On May 31, 2016, at 12:47, David Rönnqvist via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Under "Proposed solution" you say (emphasis mine):

"Make return optional and infer return type for single-expressions everywhere in the language:"

However the return type isn't inferred for computed properties or functions, and I don't see type inference being discussed in the proposal (other than mentioning that closures have it).

- David

31 maj 2016 kl. 19:35 skrev Adrian Zubarev via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org>:

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

+1

L

On 31 May 2016 at 12:47, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution >>> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>
>>
>
>
>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> The idea is simple:
>>>>
>>>> type A {
>>>> }
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> /brian
>>>
>>
>

I really like the proposal in case of properties and functions, but I really don't want to have
guard boolean else { "false” }

+1. This is example *is not* a single expression code block. There are 3 expressions (the condition, the return value in the else block, and the primary return value).

···

On May 31, 2016, at 1:16 PM, Vladimir.S via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

I feel like `return` is very important part of `guard` statement.
I understand the requirement for consistency with properties/closures/functions, but I'll prefer to have some inconsistency in language in this case and require `return` for `guard`. And in case I'll have to choose all-or-nothig, I'll give -1 for the proposal.

I.e. IMO current `return` in properties and functions is less evil than absent of `return` in `guard`.

On 31.05.2016 20:35, Adrian Zubarev via swift-evolution wrote:

Here is the draft proposal:
https://github.com/DevAndArtist/swift-evolution/blob/single_expression_optional_return/proposals/nnnn-single-expression-optional-return.md

Did I covered everything case? If you find some mistakes feel free to
provide feedback so I can fix the proposal before I submit a PR.

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

Am 31. Mai 2016 um 18:33:09, Leonardo Pessoa via swift-evolution
(swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>) schrieb:

+1

L

On 31 May 2016 at 12:47, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution >>> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>
>>
>
>
>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> The idea is simple:
>>>>
>>>> type A {
>>>> }
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> /brian
>>>
>>