[Pitch] Enable multi-statement closure parameter/result type inference

Mmm, thanks for correcting me! For certain then we should consider how these issues mesh.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Improving the documentation of the constraint system

I have updated the Detailed Design section to point out that contextual type is a primary source of information for the closure.

2 Likes

Technically nothing really, although bodies of the functions are usually bigger than closures so we'd have to figure out whether we need to figure out how to slim down constraint solver state and thresholds.

1 Like

Debates about what proposals are or aren't required to do aside, if this summary wasn't included, how are reviewers supposed to examine the core of the proposal and evaluate whether it makes sense? How are people testing the toolchains for the feature supposed to examine edge cases?

(As an aside, I also disagree that features like this should only be documented at the code level. Unless you're working on the compiler code itself you'd never find it. If we want people who aren't compiler engineers to be able to file proper bugs about inference and other compiler behaviors, it needs to live somewhere visible. IMO, proposals are to document a proposed change, with the full, current behavior documented elsewhere. Whether the project has an appropriate place, I don't know.)

1 Like

Yeah, I'm not suggesting that there be no details at all in the proposal text—I just want to get a handle on what will be considered 'locked in' by this proposal, if accepted. If we decide six months from now that a better heuristic is, say, "look at the first two returns to determine the result type," will it require another proposal to tweak that behavior, or could it be considered a simple 'improvement' to the type inference behavior? (Assuming that such a change could be made in a backwards-compatible way.)

Moderator's note: by request, I have moved three posts about improving the documentation of the constraint system used within the compiler into a new thread; please continue any related discussion there.

Speaking of heuristics…

I suspect (without having gathered any evidence) that a fair number[weasel words] of closures might have their first return statement simply read “return nil”, perhaps in a fail-early guard clause.

That’s enough to indicate the return type is optional, but not what type the wrapped value is. Similarly, “return []” indicates it is an array, but not the element type.

So perhaps a reasonable improvement to the proposal could address those scenarios.

8 Likes

Great point, which builds on my earlier concern regarding return 0.

1 Like

I think this might be a good follow-up just like inout is because it implies inference across statement boundaries, which would be new for the language. The result type of such a closure would have to be a join of all of its return statements.

1 Like

I will add that as a future direction.

What’s the compiler currently doing when a function has an opaque return type and the first return statement has a literal such as this?

The literal type is defaulted. Opaque return type inference also does not join the types of the return values:

func test(value: UInt) -> some ExpressibleByIntegerLiteral {
// ^ error: function declares an opaque return type, but the return statements in its body do not have matching underlying types

if true {
    return 0 // note: return statement has underlying type 'Int'
  }

return value // note: return statement has underlying type 'UInt'
}
2 Likes

Just to clarify, @xwu, opaque type becomes a type variable that has to conform to a protocol specified after some so it's effectively a situation like <T>(...) -> T. That's why I mentioned that there is no equivalent to this cross-statement inference which would have to happen for return statement to be eluded.

I found a case with source compatibility implications:

func test<T, R>(_: (UnsafePointer<T>) -> R) -> R { fatalError() }
func test<T>(_: (UnsafeRawBufferPointer) -> T) -> T { fatalError() }

let _: Int = test { ptr in
  //assert(ptr[0] == UInt8.max)
  return Int(ptr[0]) << 2
}

Without assert this closure is ambiguous but with it - type-checks just fine, but only if I specify contextual type explicitly. This happens because overload with UnsafeRawBufferPointer doesn't have any unresolved type variables in it (due to supplied contextual result type), so it's the only valid solution for multi-statement closure case without checking the body.

With proposed changes this test-case is going to be ambiguous regardless of assert because it would be possible to infer pointer type from the body of the closure.

I'm going to add this to source compatibility section and it should be possible to mitigate via ranking rules if we wanted but I'd prefer to keep the unified behavior.

I think some of this is style preference, but I personally would rather not go down this path. I find a bare expression at the end of some other statements being an implied return very unsettling:

_ = vals.map {
  if case .baz(let value) = $0 {
    return value
  }
  nil
}

I know this is how several languages work but I just don't like it. I'd have to think about how to articulate why.

I think something that will go a long way to making it less pressing would be if if/switch statements became expressions. IIRC @Michael_Ilseman went through an analysis of the standard library a while back and found that a huge number of functions would benefit from this.

_ = vals.map {
  if case .baz(let value) = $0 {
    value
  } else {
    nil
  }
}

(this doesn't mesh as well with guard of course, though I feel like guard is a little overused tbh)

Having raised this topic... I'll also say we shouldn't discuss it on this pitch, except in so much as to say this proposal's implementation makes this change very simple. But I suggest we discuss it on a separate thread.

9 Likes

Currently statements in any body are type-checked top-down, that's why first return provides the type, changing that would require the same mechanism as I have described for return type elision, where information is allowed to flow both directions (and result is a join) and across statements which would be new for the language. More importantly type-checking would not be top-down anymore.

2 Likes

Just a quick update: I have updated both Source Compatibility and Future Directions sections based on the discussion. Future Directions how has a topic about return type inference across statements.

4 Likes
@discardableResult func a() -> Int { 42 }
let c = {
    _ = 1 // any statement
    a() 
}
let d = c()

A convoluted example, but wouldn’t d change from Void to Int?

I think this is more of an unfortunate semantic on part of a single-expression closure because @discardableResult shouldn't infer as an implicit return...