[Pitch] Amend SE-0303 Plugin API to Use `@main` for Plugin Entry Point

This was actually changed in SE-0325 but I should make sure that SE-0303 has a link to that proposal; that's a very good suggestion. I'll open a PR.

1 Like

Looks like I missed SE-0325 totally. I should search the relevant SE first.
But yeah I think it's a good idea to mention SE-0325's API change in SE-0303.

Definitely. I have also started working on at least a brief plugin author guide in the SwiftPM repository, and that should be more approachable than the proposal itself. I've been trying to make time to finish that but from the various questions I see on different forums, there is some urgency to getting a first version of that completed.

2 Likes

Yeah, that project adopted plug-ins very very early before they were stable and if only every built on nightly toolchains back then.

That project specifically will not need plugins anymore, thanks to the accepted language features around distributed actors though. Just as a heads up.

A guide for plug-in authors would be great tho! I agree it can be tricky to know how to implement them nowadays

1 Like

Absolutely. I have an early start in a PR up at Getting Started with Plugins document by abertelrud · Pull Request #4070 · apple/swift-package-manager · GitHub and have some edits beyond that that I will try to get integrated ASAP.

2 Likes