[Out of scope][Gibberish]

Trivial matter, I’d say. How lucky you are:
Just be glad you’re not Dutch living in Germany (the lady is from here), writing on English boards. :o)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcEFn-1uOyo <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcEFn-1uOyo&gt;

Have a nice weekend, met vriendelijke groeten
TedvG

···

On 14 Oct 2016, at 07:16, Daniel Duan via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> wrote:

1. “honor” is mis-spelled in “weird queen’s dialect”.

I'm sorry, but I throw an exception at this; when you say "weird queen's dialect" do you mean… English? I don't go around referring to the other variation as "weird can't spell dialect" (but maybe I should) :stuck_out_tongue:
The u in words like honour is what makes it pronounced like "onner" rather than "hone-ore", same with colour being "culler" rather than "coal-ore". Sorry but it really annoys me when people consider the English version of English to be the weird one, as the clue is literally in the name as to which version is correct. This is why it still galls me that the language in macOS is "British English" yet the other one is just "English" rather than "American English" or whatever, it's a hideous double standard.

That aside, I'm a strong +1 for the feature :wink:

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 16:14:01 +0200
From: Goffredo Marocchi <panajev@gmail.com <mailto:panajev@gmail.com>>
To: Haravikk <swift-evolution@haravikk.me <mailto:swift-evolution@haravikk.me>>
Cc: swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>, swift-build-dev@swift.org <mailto:swift-build-dev@swift.org>
Subject: Re: [swift-evolution] Proposal: Package Manager Version
  Pinning
Message-ID: <5C0DD558-5031-4D9C-9444-106B2DD37BC2@gmail.com <mailto:5C0DD558-5031-4D9C-9444-106B2DD37BC2@gmail.com>>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8

Let's not promote this idea English has comprehensible and easy to refer to pronunciation rules ;). It needs reforming :P, but let's keep it for English-Evolution ;).

Sent from my iPhone

On 14 Oct 2016, at 13:42, Haravikk via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> wrote:

On 14 Oct 2016, at 07:16, Daniel Duan via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> wrote:

I'm sorry, but I throw an exception at this; when you say "weird queen's dialect" do you mean… English? I don't go around referring to the other variation as "weird can't spell dialect" (but maybe I should) :stuck_out_tongue:
The u in words like honour is what makes it pronounced like "onner" rather than "hone-ore", same with colour being "culler" rather than "coal-ore". Sorry but it really annoys me when people consider the English version of English to be the weird one, as the clue is literally in the name as to which version is correct. This is why it still galls me that the language in macOS is "British English" yet the other one is just "English" rather than "American English" or whatever, it's a hideous double standard.

That aside, I'm a strong +1 for the feature :wink:

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 09:34:10 -0500
From: Benjamin Spratling <bspratling@mac.com <mailto:bspratling@mac.com>>
To: swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>
Subject: Re: [swift-evolution] Proposal: Package Manager Version
  Pinning
Message-ID: <9EF2369D-4182-4630-BA92-E037C4082917@mac.com <mailto:9EF2369D-4182-4630-BA92-E037C4082917@mac.com>>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Let's not promote this idea English has comprehensible and easy to refer to pronunciation rules ;). It needs reforming :P, but let's keep it for English-Evolution ;).

+1
Can you get me on that list? I have a long list of bugs to report. :)

I'm sorry, but I throw an exception at this; when you say "weird queen's dialect" do you mean… English?

I think he was just trying to be funny. As an Englishman, I don’t take offence.

I don't go around referring to the other variation as "weird can't spell dialect" (but maybe I should) :stuck_out_tongue:
The u in words like honour is what makes it pronounced like "onner" rather than "hone-ore", same with colour being "culler" rather than "coal-ore". Sorry but it really annoys me when people consider the English version of English to be the weird one, as the clue is literally in the name as to which version is correct.

Well it’s actually an interesting question. It’s fairer to say that the language forked back when people started moving from Britain to the Americas. After that it evolved and diverged on both sides of the Atlantic. You can’t argue that one side or the other is wrong, particularly as, throughout most of the period when the British were colonising the USA, there was no standard spelling for English.

This is why it still galls me that the language in macOS is "British English" yet the other one is just "English" rather than "American English" or whatever, it's a hideous double standard.

I just checked my Mac. I’m currently using a language that it refers to as English (UK). Amongst the many alternatives I could choose is English (US). There is no option that is just called “English”.

···

On 14 Oct 2016, at 20:11, Ted F.A. van Gaalen via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

On 14 Oct 2016, at 07:16, Daniel Duan via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

So sorry, I meant to delete Swift-evolution from the cc list but forgot.

Apologies for the off topic post.

···

On 17 Oct 2016, at 10:12, Jeremy Pereira <jeremy.j.pereira@googlemail.com> wrote:

On 14 Oct 2016, at 20:11, Ted F.A. van Gaalen via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

On 14 Oct 2016, at 07:16, Daniel Duan via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

I'm sorry, but I throw an exception at this; when you say "weird queen's dialect" do you mean… English?

I think he was just trying to be funny. As an Englishman, I don’t take offence.

I don't go around referring to the other variation as "weird can't spell dialect" (but maybe I should) :stuck_out_tongue:
The u in words like honour is what makes it pronounced like "onner" rather than "hone-ore", same with colour being "culler" rather than "coal-ore". Sorry but it really annoys me when people consider the English version of English to be the weird one, as the clue is literally in the name as to which version is correct.

Well it’s actually an interesting question. It’s fairer to say that the language forked back when people started moving from Britain to the Americas. After that it evolved and diverged on both sides of the Atlantic. You can’t argue that one side or the other is wrong, particularly as, throughout most of the period when the British were colonising the USA, there was no standard spelling for English.

This is why it still galls me that the language in macOS is "British English" yet the other one is just "English" rather than "American English" or whatever, it's a hideous double standard.

I just checked my Mac. I’m currently using a language that it refers to as English (UK). Amongst the many alternatives I could choose is English (US). There is no option that is just called “English”.