"Month 13 is out of bounds"

In XCode, I’ve built a little …mathematical utility program for my own use. It’s a Swift 4, Cocoa & Foundation-based program targeted at High Sierra. But it’s doing something weird.

The title of this email, “Month 13 is out of bounds,” pops up in the log exactly nine times as the main window for the app opens, and appears no other time during its operation.

The problem is that nowhere in the code for this thing am I using any date or time functions. None whatsoever.

I even stuck a breakpoint on the applicationDidFinishLaunching() in the AppDelegate, and three of those messages are written to the log before even that.

How do I track down this behavior?

--David

"Do not attempt to operate heavy philosophy when taking this drug. Driving is perfectly all right, as it renders you completely alert although unable to put together an argument."

1 Like

what are your system settings for Language & Region?

···

On Jan 2, 2018, at 10:10 AM, David Wood via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

In XCode, I’ve built a little …mathematical utility program for my own use. It’s a Swift 4, Cocoa & Foundation-based program targeted at High Sierra. But it’s doing something weird.

The title of this email, “Month 13 is out of bounds,” pops up in the log exactly nine times as the main window for the app opens, and appears no other time during its operation.

The problem is that nowhere in the code for this thing am I using any date or time functions. None whatsoever.

I even stuck a breakpoint on the applicationDidFinishLaunching() in the AppDelegate, and three of those messages are written to the log before even that.

--David

"Do not attempt to operate heavy philosophy when taking this drug. Driving is perfectly all right, as it renders you completely alert although unable to put together an argument."

This is a known issue for High Sierra, and is output from a variety of apps during normal system usage. Just search your Console logs and you’ll see many instances. Unfortunately I’m not sure how to ignore the output in Xcode, but you don’t need to care about it. Who knows if it’ll be fixed for High Sierra.

Jon

···

On Jan 2, 2018, at 1:10 PM, David Wood via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

--David

I'm set to use the U.S. English language, and United States region; it doesn't seem to differentiate any closer than that, unfortunately.

And I tested the program I had the problem with again, and sure enough, it's not appearing. This is a most peculiar sort of intermittent bug, one that apparently only manifests in December.

I understand that this'll make tracking down the problem that much harder, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. Somewhere in there, something's passing around the wrong date, and that seems wrong.

I don't think this is any issue for you to track down. As others have said it's a known bug somewhere in Apple's code so we need to wait for them to fix it. Even if your code had no problems, you could see this error. It sounds like some people are still seeing it.

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2017/12/06/month-13-is-out-of-bounds/

I think at this point we just hope the next update from from Apple fixes it.

Unfortunately, there appear to be incompatibilities between our "December" product and macOS High Sierra. We have recently rolled out the "January" patch, which we believe should resolve the issue, and recommend that all users run the auto-update feature on their Time-Space Continuum™ as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience.

2 Likes