Migrating to TCA

I watched the composable architecture tour, watched all the episode leading to the tour and watched the tour again. I read all the case studies.

I want to migrate a large application to use TCA and I have no idea where and how to start and every approach I can think of seems very daunting.

Is there a simple mythology I can apply?

I have been tempted to start from scratch but that comes with its own set of problems.

P.S. Why is the Swift Composable Architecture referred to as TCA and not SCA?

The "composable" nature of the architecture should make integrating it into an existing application a matter of slicing off an existing piece of functionality and bundling it up into the various pieces.

• Identify a single item of state, for example something in the UI that can change based on your app's logic
  • Identify a user/system action (or two) that can affect that state
  • Write a reducer for that state/action
  • Introduce a store for that view
  • Feed actions into the store and bind the store's state to the view

This should be enough to get some simple things to production without radically altering anything in your application, and you should be in a position to write some tests.

Side effects can make things messy, but you don't need to immediately embrace the Effect type and wrangle things. You can instead incrementally take the side effects happening in your view/controller and manually feed their results into the store. Then, over time, you can utilize the Effect type so that the store can do that work for you.

If you have any specific questions please let us know so we can help! In general you should be able to introduce a small store to any part of your application and let it manage a small part of your app's state and logic.

This is kind of a nod to TEA (The Elm Architecture), which influenced part of TCA's design.

Thanks Stephen!

I started refactoring and yes, trying to refactor everything at once was really daunting. I have already refactored my Root View Controller and wrote some nice tests. I am quite happy :slight_smile:

1 Like
Terms of Service

Privacy Policy

Cookie Policy