Members answering questions about Apple frameworks

Not at all: I think users should justify that this is the appropriate forum for their question.

Anything else is untenable. In order to say for sure where the problem lies, we need to debug it. That means trying to debug how all of SwiftUI's various property wrappers, result builders, and other (potentially undocumented) features work - using pure guesswork, because we don't actually have knowledge about any of that stuff. That's why it is better to use the actual SwiftUI support forum for those sorts of questions.

The core concept that you are ignoring here is: triage. Issues need to get sorted and classified by those best equipped to do that. It may be that users later get referred back to these forums.

But if we start with the business of trying to guesswork-debug SwiftUI, this then very quickly becomes the SwiftUI support forum.

Just because this one question happened to be reducible does not justify the principle. If they were not able to reduce the problem themselves, they should have asked a higher-level support forum or filed a bug report.

The moderators are not actually doing it, which is why I've had to go around mopping up threads that were clearly only about SwiftUI.

I know that it isn't popular - everybody seems to be in agreement that Apple's forums suck. Members here are definitely looking for any excuse to ignore Apple's policy and turn this in to a SwiftUI support forum. I think that's very obvious.

@tkremenek - this is Apple's policy, I think it's clear that it needs to be clarified.

1 Like