Members answering questions about Apple frameworks

Continuing discussion with @Karl from Cannot assign to property: ‘self’ is immutable?

Posts have been moved here, but are out-of-order. Chronologically, this post is ordered directly after this one

Asking users to post a more self-contained example is perfectly reasonable. What is not reasonable, IMO, is telling users that their post is off-topic without verifying that yourself simply because the question mentions an Apple framework.

I think this is unfair to the OP of that topic. They explicitly said that they posted here because (in addition to being disillusioned with the ADF) they suspected there was an underlying language issue that they didn't understand. And they were right! This is exactly the kind of question that should be asked on these forums.

This feels a bit hyperbolic to me. I advocated for flagging posts for moderator attention in situations where a community member is not confident in their evaluation of the on-topic-ness of a particular post. I don't consider that "ignoring the rules."

You said yourself that you "don't like to [tell users their post is off-topic]," and the moderators have expressed that they are happy to do so, so why take it upon yourself if you don't want to do the verification work yourself?

8 Likes