Major SwiftPM compile time regression

Swift TOT is currently taking a very long time (and upwards of 8GB) to build SwiftPM. I filed:
  https://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-2754
can someone on the compiler take a look? This makes it hard to develop with TOT.

- Daniel

Does this look related to the type checker (I saw Mark’s comments in the SR) or something else?

···

On Sep 24, 2016, at 3:23 PM, Daniel Dunbar via swift-dev <swift-dev@swift.org> wrote:

Swift TOT is currently taking a very long time (and upwards of 8GB) to build SwiftPM. I filed:
[SR-2754] Major compile time regression on SwiftPM · Issue #45358 · apple/swift · GitHub
can someone on the compiler take a look? This makes it hard to develop with TOT.

- Daniel

I'm assuming its the type checker based on how it manifests (and we haven't changed anything interesting in the module that is slow to build), but I haven't looked at any samples.

- Daniel

···

On Sep 24, 2016, at 9:23 PM, Ted Kremenek <kremenek@apple.com> wrote:

Does this look related to the type checker (I saw Mark’s comments in the SR) or something else?

On Sep 24, 2016, at 3:23 PM, Daniel Dunbar via swift-dev <swift-dev@swift.org <mailto:swift-dev@swift.org>> wrote:

[SR-2754] Major compile time regression on SwiftPM · Issue #45358 · apple/swift · GitHub

- Daniel

I just pulled this up under Instruments and found that 94% of the compile time for StringMangling.swift.o, which seems to be where all the time goes, is spent in performLLVM, so this doesn’t look like a type checker issue.

Weight Self Weight Symbol Name
10.32 min 94.4% 1.00 ms performLLVM(swift::IRGenOptions&, swift::DiagnosticEngine&, llvm::sys::SmartMutex<false>*, llvm::GlobalVariable*, llvm::Module*, llvm::TargetMachine*, swift::version::Version const&, llvm::StringRef)

I attached a screen shot from Instruments to the bug.

Mark

···

On Sep 24, 2016, at 9:25 PM, Daniel Dunbar <daniel_dunbar@apple.com> wrote:

I'm assuming its the type checker based on how it manifests (and we haven't changed anything interesting in the module that is slow to build), but I haven't looked at any samples.

- Daniel

On Sep 24, 2016, at 9:23 PM, Ted Kremenek <kremenek@apple.com <mailto:kremenek@apple.com>> wrote:

On Sep 24, 2016, at 3:23 PM, Daniel Dunbar via swift-dev <swift-dev@swift.org <mailto:swift-dev@swift.org>> wrote:

- Daniel

Thanks! I guess this showed up as a result of the most recent LLVM sync then?

- Daniel

···

On Sep 24, 2016, at 11:17 PM, Mark Lacey <mark.lacey@apple.com> wrote:

I just pulled this up under Instruments and found that 94% of the compile time for StringMangling.swift.o, which seems to be where all the time goes, is spent in performLLVM, so this doesn’t look like a type checker issue.

10.32 min 94.4% 1.00 ms performLLVM(swift::IRGenOptions&, swift::DiagnosticEngine&, llvm::sys::SmartMutex<false>*, llvm::GlobalVariable*, llvm::Module*, llvm::TargetMachine*, swift::version::Version const&, llvm::StringRef)

Mark

On Sep 24, 2016, at 9:25 PM, Daniel Dunbar <daniel_dunbar@apple.com <mailto:daniel_dunbar@apple.com>> wrote:

- Daniel

On Sep 24, 2016, at 9:23 PM, Ted Kremenek <kremenek@apple.com <mailto:kremenek@apple.com>> wrote:

- Daniel

Thanks! I guess this showed up as a result of the most recent LLVM sync then?

Yes, that seems like the most likely explanation.

Mark

···

On Sep 24, 2016, at 11:20 PM, Daniel Dunbar <daniel_dunbar@apple.com> wrote:

- Daniel

On Sep 24, 2016, at 11:17 PM, Mark Lacey <mark.lacey@apple.com <mailto:mark.lacey@apple.com>> wrote:

Mark

On Sep 24, 2016, at 9:25 PM, Daniel Dunbar <daniel_dunbar@apple.com <mailto:daniel_dunbar@apple.com>> wrote:

- Daniel

- Daniel