Mailman?

They are listening but they keep saying they don't have the resources. So I
would encourage them to let the community give back and set something up !

···

*___________________________________*

*James⎥Head of Trolls*

*james@supmenow.com <james@supmenow.com>⎥supmenow.com <http://supmenow.com>*

*Sup*

*Runway East *

*10 Finsbury Square*

*London*

* EC2A 1AF *

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 6:28 PM, David Hart via swift-evolution < swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

+1000

Sent from my iPhone

On 09 Mar 2016, at 11:34, Adrian Kashivskyy via swift-evolution < > swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

I'm a very big supporter of moving the discussions to a Discourse forum
installation. Here are my arguments:

   1. *Subscribing to interesting threads*
   In the mailing list, it is not possible to subscribe to a thread
   unless the mail client supports it. In a forum, you can subscribe to a
   thread and you may even turn on email notifications.
   2. *Muting uninteresting threads*
   Unless the mail client is supporting it (many don't) – it's not
   possible to mute a thread – all emails are equally important.
   3. *Searching*
   It is way easier to search an indexed forum like Discourse, than
   searching through 12k emails
   4. *Message formatting*
   We tend to include many code examples and formatted text in our
   messages. Some of us tend to create markdown files on the side and then
   paste the generated HTML into an email body. Discourse supports
   mix-and-match of Markdown, HTML and BBEdit.
   5. *Tags*
   In the mailing list, most of us tend to include [tags] in the mail
   subjects, but some folks forget or ignore them. Discourse allows to
   predefine tags for the threads which improves indexing and searching even
   more.
   6. *Pinned threads*
   Announcements of e.g. ongoing reviews may take a form of pinned
   threads so they are immediately visible to forum members.
   7. *The problem of replying to a thread with a changed subject*
   Sometimes users reply to threads but accidentally add a tag or a
   whitespace to the message subject. Most mail client interpret it as a new
   thread and such a reply may be lost in the wild. Replies to coherent forum
   threads are never lost, they're always in the right place.
   8. *Accessibility*
   Even if your mailing client allows all of the above features,
   sometimes it is needed to access the forums from a phone or on a university
   computer, where many functionalities are blocked. Although it is possible
   to access the webmail page in the browser, it is most often painful to
   navigate through archives (especially on icloud.com ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). When
   using Discourse, all above features are available everywhere.
   9. *Permanent links*
   To share a link to a Discourse discussion, you just copy it from the
   browser URL field. To share a link to a mailing list reply, you need to
   open the web archive, find the topic manually and then copy the URL from
   the browser field anyway.
   10. *Mentioning other users*
   In mailing list, this is achievable by including the target user in a
   recipients list. In forum, you just @mention someone, just like in GitHub
   issues.
   11. *Privacy*
   Some users don't want their private emails to be disclosed in a
   mailing list. In a forum like Discourse, you can choose whether your email
   is displayed publicly or not.

I can actually go on and on with my points, but I very much hope that the
above list is sufficient to start a serious discussion about migrating to a
forum, like Discourse.

Regards,
Adrian Kashivskyy

Wiadomość napisana przez Fload via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution@swift.org> w dniu 06.03.2016, o godz. 23:46:

Using Mail here, it works well for me! :)

On Mar 6, 2016, at 9:31 PM, Kevin Lundberg via swift-evolution < > swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

I wonder if some of the dislike for mailing lists here is due to people
using Mail.app on osx/ios to keep up with discussions. I find that
Thunderbird's mailing list handling is really nice (much better than
Mail.app), since it correctly shows replies as a tree so it's easy to see
which messages reply to which at a glance.

On 3/6/2016 12:54 PM, Goffredo Marocchi via swift-evolution wrote:

Setting up a custom Google Wave service? ... *waits for laughter to die
down* it is actually open source and did its job well actually.

Sent from my iPhone

On 6 Mar 2016, at 17:35, Radosław Pietruszewski via swift-evolution < > swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

I have to admit that I’ve also gotten used to the current system, however
archaic ;)

I’d still be happy to move to a more modern system, but it’s not as
important to me as in the beginning.

The only requirement, I think, for a lot of people, would be for the new
system to still allow subscription and posting to go through email.

Best,
— Radek

On 05 Mar 2016, at 00:37, Erica Sadun via swift-evolution < > swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Speaking as someone who tries to observe trends in discussions, does a lot
of search through her mail archives,
and uses gmane to capture permanent links, I've been very satisfied with
the existing solution.

I suspect that most of us happy users never get heard in this discussion,
so I'm just putting this out there.

-- Erica

On Mar 4, 2016, at 3:34 PM, Jacob Bandes-Storch via swift-evolution < > <swift-evolution@swift.org>swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Friendly bump:

Discourse is now free for open-source projects.

Free Discourse forum hosting for community-friendly GitHub projects

I can't speak for the whole core team, but my preferences would be for something that supports offline access well, like a mailing list, can sync read and replied state across clients, like IMAP, but still provides low-barrier web access and easy permalinking, like a web forum.

-Joe

···

On Mar 15, 2016, at 3:27 AM, Adrian Kashivskyy <adrian.kashivskyy@me.com> wrote:

Joe, what are the Core Team's requirements for a possible forum software to start a discussion?

The issues you expressed may be solved by not giving moderation access to community members on such a forum, much like in Mailman.

It's not everybody's cup of tea, but I can hook you up with
Emacs/Gnus...

···

--
-Dave

You speak and I hear custom Google Wave setup still... ;)

http://incubator.apache.org/wave/

···

Sent from my iPhone

On 15 Mar 2016, at 16:52, Joe Groff via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

On Mar 15, 2016, at 3:27 AM, Adrian Kashivskyy <adrian.kashivskyy@me.com> wrote:

Joe, what are the Core Team's requirements for a possible forum software to start a discussion?

The issues you expressed may be solved by not giving moderation access to community members on such a forum, much like in Mailman.

I can't speak for the whole core team, but my preferences would be for something that supports offline access well, like a mailing list, can sync read and replied state across clients, like IMAP, but still provides low-barrier web access and easy permalinking, like a web forum.

-Joe

Great news, that thing exists! You've just described the hybrid setup used for discussing the D language. You can access and post to it either from the web, a newsreader or a mail client, and posts become available on the three mediums. http://forum.dlang.org

The forum software is written in D. GitHub - CyberShadow/DFeed: D news aggregator, newsgroup client, web newsreader and IRC bot

···

Le 15 mars 2016 à 12:52, Joe Groff via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> a écrit :

I can't speak for the whole core team, but my preferences would be for something that supports offline access well, like a mailing list, can sync read and replied state across clients, like IMAP, but still provides low-barrier web access and easy permalinking, like a web forum.

--
Michel Fortin
https://michelf.ca

Hi Keith,

can you give some more details on how to do this? I'd love to use Unison
for this, but I have no idea how to set this up. Any help is greatly
appreciated.

···

--
Ilya

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 1:47 PM Keith Smiley via swift-evolution < swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

For those who are just interested in getting these conversations out of
their
email in the meantime, you can use the nntp bridge at

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.swift.evolution/

Along with Panic's retired Unison app

Panic Blog » The Future of Unison

As a pretty good GUI for this.

--
Keith Smiley

On 03/09, James Campbell via swift-evolution wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > On 05 Mar 2016, at 00:37, Erica Sadun via swift-evolution < > > > swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
> >
> > Speaking as someone who tries to observe trends in discussions, does a
lot
> > of search through her mail archives,
> > and uses gmane to capture permanent links, I've been very satisfied
with
> > the existing solution.
> >
> > I suspect that most of us happy users never get heard in this
discussion,
> > so I'm just putting this out there.
> >
> > -- Erica
> >

> > On Mar 4, 2016, at 3:34 PM, Jacob Bandes-Storch via swift-evolution < > > > <swift-evolution@swift.org>swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
> >
> > Friendly bump:
> >
> > Discourse is now free for open-source projects.

Free Discourse forum hosting for community-friendly GitHub projects

That wouldn't really help with the web accessibility or state syncing. Or with avoiding RSI.

-Joe

···

On Mar 15, 2016, at 4:47 PM, Dave Abrahams via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

on Tue Mar 15 2016, Joe Groff <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

On Mar 15, 2016, at 3:27 AM, Adrian Kashivskyy <adrian.kashivskyy@me.com> wrote:

Joe, what are the Core Team's requirements for a possible forum software to start a discussion?

The issues you expressed may be solved by not giving moderation
access to community members on such a forum, much like in Mailman.

I can't speak for the whole core team, but my preferences would be for
something that supports offline access well, like a mailing list, can
sync read and replied state across clients, like IMAP, but still
provides low-barrier web access and easy permalinking, like a web
forum.

It's not everybody's cup of tea, but I can hook you up with
Emacs/Gnus...

This can be done by setting up a single server pointing to news.gmane.org. Then
you can search for the swift lists and right click to subscribe.

···

--
Keith Smiley

On 04/02, Ilya Belenkiy wrote:

> [...]

> > > Friendly bump:
> > >
> > > Discourse is now free for open-source projects.
> > >

> Free Discourse forum hosting for community-friendly GitHub projects

Joe, what are the Core Team's requirements for a possible forum software to start a discussion?

The issues you expressed may be solved by not giving moderation
access to community members on such a forum, much like in Mailman.

I can't speak for the whole core team, but my preferences would be for
something that supports offline access well, like a mailing list, can
sync read and replied state across clients, like IMAP, but still
provides low-barrier web access and easy permalinking, like a web
forum.

It's not everybody's cup of tea, but I can hook you up with
Emacs/Gnus...

That wouldn't really help with the web accessibility

or state syncing.

Yeah, that's doable. You have an iCloud drive account.

Or with avoiding RSI.

Sure it would; there are menus in Emacs, and one can set up
less-strenuous bindings.

···