Is a set a sequence?

Kind of rude, but it's not satirical, it's just an outline of the thought process that led to my conclusions. elementsEqual is indeed a problem, mostly because it takes two Sequences and was an attractive nuisance before things were made Equatable, but that is already being discussed in its own thread so I presume this thread is about the remaining APIs that expose order. The other handful of methods are perhaps not particularly useful in a lot of situations, but I am not convinced they are particularly harmful.

Sure, but equally something like prefix could be used to get the first n elements of a collection that I know is in a given order, as in your marathon example, or to get an arbitrary n elements, perhaps because you have some efficient method of processing data in fixed sized chunks.

Your marathon example could have been reasonably written as

func printPodium(of marathon: Marathon) {
  var place = 1

for contestant in marathon.succesfulContestants {
    guard place <= 3 else { break }
    print("Contestant: \(contestant.0) (\(contestant.1 / 3600))")
    place += 1
  }
}

which exhibits exactly the same issue as your prefix code. So why is prefix a problem but not for-in? You seem to have a strong opinion about which operations that expose an order are harmful and which ones aren't, but I don't understand the basis for those opinions.