Introducing Swift for Visual Studio Code

Is there a way to join the Swift Server Slack? It seems this link is not accepting new users.

Here's an invite link that shouldn't expire

Maybe should create a new VSCode category under this forum for better focus on Swift for VSCode announcement/updates and discussions.

1 Like

Already requested, will take a while I imagine as everyone is having a well deserved holiday break

1 Like

This is really really great. I'm teaching underprivileged kids in my neighbourhood how to code Swift, but since they don't have Macs I'm using GitHub Codespaces with VSCode – this is going to make their learning experience so, so much better. Thanks a lot to the whole team!

22 Likes

Soon, they might be able to use Google Colab as well.

This is really great. I installed it on a Raspberry Pi, and was building and remote-debugging from my Mac instantly. It's the first time I've managed to get LLDB working with Swift on Linux (I know it was possible before, but nowhere near this easy to set up).

A big thanks to everybody who worked on this.

It's amazing to think how far Swift tooling has come over the last 12 months - first DocC, now this. It's nice. We're in a much better place.

14 Likes

Super awesome!

Any plan to support UIKit and AppKit?

2 Likes

Well, AppKit should already work this way: SPM only AppKit and UIKit might be possible using the new SPM iOS support for Playgrounds?

3 Likes

isn't that a private Apple to SPM extension tho?

SPM support in iPad Swift Playgrounds means the new Swift for TensorFlow will support GPU-accelerated training entirely on an iPad. S4TF is massive enough that we may need to ship a pre-compiled binary for a good developer experience, but SPM supports binary dependencies.

Yes! I've been following your work on that very closely, super impressive stuff. From one high school student to another, salute :wink: I think this widening of the eco-system will help people realise that Swift can be used for even more than Apple platforms and the server – it's an amazing first language to learn, and thanks to your help more and more people will have the opportunity to join this community.

1 Like

Thanks to Santa🎅

I don't know, I assumed it would also work w/ the Xcode bundled SPM/toolchain, but I didn't try it yet.

I'm talking about manifest (Package.swift) extension. It has properties not supported by the open-source SPM manifest. Xcode can use it though to build and sign the actual app.

That's exactly what I'm thinking! I recently commented on a Medium post and someone said they didn't choose Swift for something because it was Apple-specific. Google Colab can work even on a school-issued Chromebook or an iPhone, and bringing Swift back to it is a major step in being cross-platform.

3 Likes

Nice job, mate! :clap:t2:

Thanks for the awesome addition to the Swift development ecosystem!

It would be great if we could also publish the extension in the Open VSX registry. I've explained out the reasoning and process in this issue: Publish in the Open VSX Registry · Issue #90 · swift-server/vscode-swift · GitHub

For anyone avid to use VSCode but who nonetheless misses Xcode's familiar syntax coloring and font, check out the Xcode 12 theme extension on the VSCode marketplace, and don't forget to go into the VSCode settings and change the font to "SFMono-Medium". If you don't already have the font independently installed on your system you can download it on https://developer.apple.com/fonts/.

You'll feel right at home!

2 Likes

I think there's a way to configure a Jupyter notebook to have custom syntax coloring too. After all, Colab once supported Swift, which has different syntax coloring settings than Python. That means there could be Xcode-like syntax coloring on Google Colab.