in-app purchase coding

i am using a Macbook Pro running El Capitan (i ran the update today) with the latest version of Xcode. i tried to test the practice app on my iPad (i am updating it to iOS 9.3.2 right now)

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM
i am a student, i have taken all of my programming classes but the school's agreement with Apple does not allow them to cover in-app purchases. i have followed the instructions from the book "iOS 9 app development essentials" to create a practice app to code & test a built-in in app purchase to unlock built in features. my purchaseViewController is FULL of errors. i have no idea how to fix the errors. i have built an app that needs to include several in app purchases, but i desperately need help with this and my instructor has never created an in app purchase so she doesn't know how to help me. i would very much appreciate being able to send my test app to the support team so that a technician could comment out the bad code, and add the correct code so that i can see where i went wrong, and hopefully get instruction on how to create several in app purchases for the app i wish to get into the app store.

this is the response I got from Apple-

Thank you for contacting Apple Developer Technical Support (DTS). Our engineers have reviewed your request and have concluded that there is no supported way to achieve the desired functionality given the currently shipping system configurations.

If you would like for Apple to consider providing an iAP sample in Swift in the future, please submit an enhancement request via the Bug Reporter tool at <https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/&gt;\.

While a Technical Support Incident (TSI) was initially debited from your Apple Developer Program account for this request, we have assigned a replacement incident back to your account.

Thank you for taking the time to file this report. We truly appreciate your help in discovering and isolating issues.

Im posting this here because I wonder how many other people have experienced the same problem and how they’ve overcome it. I really feel ripped off. I chose to learn to develop for iOS for particular reasons, and now at the end of school, I’m about to graduate without having been taught an obviously vital skill that a developer should absolutely posses. I’ve looked for help in the developer forums to no avail…I’ve TRIED to make sense of what documentation I could find provided by Apple to no avail. Ya see, my class had barely begun to touch Objective-C when Swift was officially released out of beta. The class immediately jumped to Swift. I have found a few online courses that say they teach what I need to know but I just don’t have confidence in these classes. Must I learn Objective-C to accomplish this?? Or does anyone here have any feasible solution to offer as advice?? If I had known that this precious skill would not be taught to me at this school, I would have sought alternatives. A rep at Apple told me that she knew of ONE school that was definitely teaching this material…of course it is out of my state and I cannot afford to go there, not even for 1 class to learn what I seek. I am in Texas.
Thanks in advance for any help :)

Swift-Users isn't really the best place to discuss Apple's frameworks, but
if you give a bit more detail we may be able to help you.

···

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 12:10 developer--- via swift-users < swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

i am using a Macbook Pro running El Capitan (i ran the update today) with the latest version of Xcode. i tried
to test the practice app on my iPad (i am updating it to iOS 9.3.2 right now)

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM
i am a student, i have taken all of my programming classes but the school's agreement with Apple does not
allow them to cover in-app purchases. i have followed the instructions from the book "iOS 9 app development
essentials" to create a practice app to code & test a built-in in app purchase to unlock built in features. my
purchaseViewController is FULL of errors. i have no idea how to fix
the errors. i have built an app that needs to include several in app purchases, but i desperately need help with
this and my instructor has never created an in app purchase so she doesn't know how to help me. i would
very much appreciate being able to send my test app to the support team so that a technician could comment
out the bad code, and add the correct code so that i can see where i went wrong, and hopefully get instruction
on how to create several in app purchases for the app i wish to get into the app store.

this is the response I got from Apple-

Thank you for contacting Apple Developer Technical Support (DTS). Our
engineers have reviewed your request and have concluded that there is no
supported way to achieve the desired functionality given the currently
shipping system configurations.

If you would like for Apple to consider providing an iAP sample in Swift
in the future, please submit an enhancement request via the Bug Reporter
tool at <https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/&gt;\.

While a Technical Support Incident (TSI) was initially debited from your
Apple Developer Program account for this request, we have assigned a
replacement incident back to your account.

Thank you for taking the time to file this report. We truly appreciate
your help in discovering and isolating issues.

Im posting this here because I wonder how many other people have
experienced the same problem and how they’ve overcome it. I really feel
ripped off. I chose to learn to develop for iOS for particular reasons, and
now at the end of school, I’m about to graduate without having been taught
an obviously vital skill that a developer should absolutely posses. I’ve
looked for help in the developer forums to no avail…I’ve TRIED to make
sense of what documentation I could find provided by Apple to no avail. Ya
see, my class had barely begun to touch Objective-C when Swift was
officially released out of beta. The class immediately jumped to Swift. I
have found a few online courses that say they teach what I need to know but
I just don’t have confidence in these classes. Must I learn Objective-C to
accomplish this?? Or does anyone here have any feasible solution to offer
as advice?? If I had known that this precious skill would not be taught to
me at this school, I would have sought alternatives. A rep at Apple told me
that she knew of ONE school that was definitely teaching this material…of
course it is out of my state and I cannot afford to go there, not even for
1 class to learn what I seek. I am in Texas.
Thanks in advance for any help :)

The vital skill a developer should absolutely possess is being able to sit down and—through reading, experimenting, debugging, Googling, and discussing specifics with more experienced developers—figure out how something works.

I'm sorry if this comes off as unfriendly, but you can't expect your classes to teach you every single API you'll ever use. Many are obscure. Many are on different platforms. Many have not even been designed yet. Learning new technologies is a vital—indispensable—skill every programmer needs to have. If you haven't started to acquire that skill, it's time you get to it.

That's not to say that we can't help you, but you're going to need to get a lot more specific. You say you're getting a bunch of errors? Well, pick one of them and try to figure out what's causing it. If you have no idea, put the error message into Google and see what it says. If you still can't figure it out, post here or on Stack Overflow, providing the exact error message and the snippet of code it's happening in. (Not the whole file, just the few lines around the line with the error, and anything else you think we might need to see to understand them.)

If you think the problem is more conceptual—if you feel like the issue is not with the exact code you've written, but rather that you have no idea how in-app purchase is supposed to work—then take a step back from your code and look for samples, tutorials, or books on the subject. Apple might not have anything specifically for in-app purchases (or their sample might be in Objective-C), but I'm sure somebody does. Don't read them to find code to copy; read them to understand how they work. And then once you do understand, bring that understanding back to your code.

But the most important part is an attitude change. Development is not a mechanical skill; your job is not merely to do the specific programming tasks you've been taught, but also to figure out how to perform new tasks—perhaps even tasks *nobody* has ever done before. Writing code that uses this API is not your teacher's job, or DTS's job, or this mailing list's job. It's *your* job.

The rest of us are here to help, but this is the job you signed up for. Roll up your sleeves and get to work.

···

On Aug 10, 2016, at 1:10 PM, developer--- via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

I really feel ripped off. I chose to learn to develop for iOS for particular reasons, and now at the end of school, I’m about to graduate without having been taught an obviously vital skill that a developer should absolutely posses.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies