Improving the content on Swift.org

Thank you, this is great feedback! I will make sure this gets improved—for all platforms.

Writing High-Performance Swift Code should also be linked to at swift.org.

4 Likes

There is now an open PR that introduces these improvements to Swift.org which we've been working on.

Keep in mind again that these improvements mainly focus on updating the content, not the layout/design. The latter is a separate initiative that we will start working on in the near future.

We're looking forward to your feedback! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

From a quick review: really well done, many “missing” infos and guidance added for beginners and well organized. Thank you for your efforts!

Question: What should be the way to discuss your PR, is this forums topic a good place?

Just two things from me in this regard:

• I think the concept of Swift being “safe” (on the About Swift page) is easily misunderstood (formal definition: “unsafe” operations have an undefined behavior for some inputs) and could be better explained, see e.g. my tl;dr for this topic.
  • The use cases (on the start page) Apple platforms vs. cross-platform vs. server-side and networking are very good starting points, but of course I hope we will have nice GUI options for other platforms soon! Maybe add that the three mentioned use cases are those currently “well established” to make sound it less carved in stone?
2 Likes

Thanks, Stefan!

For any discussions around the changes in the open PR, feel free to use this forum topic or the PR itself (especially for any discussions around the code/implementation).

For other discussions, e.g. future ideas beyond these first content changes or suggestions on the design/layout, feel free to start new topics in the Swift Website category. :slight_smile:

My only feedback so far is that the example seems rather uninteresting. Could use something more unique for Swift.

If you're talking about the code examples on the landing page, these are only placeholders. There's a TODO on the PR to update them. :slightly_smiling_face: