Importing empty C structs

I'm trying to make a module out of a C library and header file. It has at least one empty struct:

struct lgs_context_t {};

and a function:

LGS_EXPORT struct lgs_context_t* lgs_init(const lgs_context_params_t* params);

Swift sees the function, I can call it and assign the result to a variable, but Xcode (as usual) fails to show me what it thinks the type is. So I can't declare a class member to hold the returned pointer.

I'm trying to declare the member like this:

var ctx: lgs_context_t? // Use of undeclared type 'lgs_context_t'

I finally tried calling it like this:

let ctx: UnsafeMutablePointer = lgs_init(...)

and the resulting error message gave me OpaquePointer. But couldn't it just typealias lgs_context_t to OpaquePointer?

Is there any way to do this in the modulemap?

Thanks!

···

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com

The compiler uses OpaquePointer for pointers to incomplete types in C. It sounds like you left lgs_context_t declared but not defined in your header, in other words you wrote 'struct lgs_context_t;' without braces. If it were truly defined to be empty, then the type should have been imported.

-Joe

···

On Apr 17, 2017, at 6:19 PM, Rick Mann via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

I'm trying to make a module out of a C library and header file. It has at least one empty struct:

struct lgs_context_t {};

and a function:

Swift sees the function, I can call it and assign the result to a variable, but Xcode (as usual) fails to show me what it thinks the type is. So I can't declare a class member to hold the returned pointer.

and the resulting error message gave me OpaquePointer. But couldn't it just typealias lgs_context_t to OpaquePointer?

Thanks!

It's defined with the braces (and nothing inside them).

···

On Apr 18, 2017, at 09:11 , Joe Groff <jgroff@apple.com> wrote:

On Apr 17, 2017, at 6:19 PM, Rick Mann via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

struct lgs_context_t {};

and a function:

Thanks!

The compiler uses OpaquePointer for pointers to incomplete types in C. It sounds like you left lgs_context_t declared but not defined in your header, in other words you wrote 'struct lgs_context_t;' without braces. If it were truly defined to be empty, then the type should have been imported.

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com