How to start a new translation project of The Swift Programming Language manual.

Hi,

I’m an italian computer science teacher and I’d like to start the translation in italian language of The Swift Programming Language.
How can I do it? Is already there an italian translation on?

Thank you for any help.

Francesco Vino

Hi Francesco --

You can use the English version of "The Swift Programming Language" as a source for your translation. It's published here:

Swift.org - Documentation

If you save a copy of the ePub locally, then when the book is updated, you can download the new ePub version and compare the files to see what changed. (For example, using a tool like diff or FileMerge.) That will tell you what new content needs to be translated.

You can look at how the Chinese translation was done here (although most of the discussion is in Chinese also):

GitHub - SwiftGGTeam/the-swift-programming-language-in-chinese: 中文版 Apple 官方 Swift 教程《The Swift Programming Language》

This past swift-dev thread might also be helpful:

[swift-dev] Putting Swift Programming Language Book under Git version control

-- Alex

···

On Sep 21, 2016, at 10:48 AM, Francesco Vino wrote:

Hi,

I’m an italian computer science teacher and I’d like to start the translation in italian language of The Swift Programming Language.

Thank you for any help.

Francesco Vino

i asked the same 3 weeks ago, but no prob,
I will be happy to help francesco

@francesco:
my direct contact is:

ingconti@ingconti.com <mailto:ingconti@ingconti.com>

···

On 24 Sep 2016, at 01:34, Alex Martini via swift-dev <swift-dev@swift.org> wrote:

On Sep 21, 2016, at 10:48 AM, Francesco Vino wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for any help.

Francesco Vino

Hi Francesco --

You can use the English version of "The Swift Programming Language" as a source for your translation. It's published here:

Swift.org - Documentation

If you save a copy of the ePub locally, then when the book is updated, you can download the new ePub version and compare the files to see what changed. (For example, using a tool like diff or FileMerge.) That will tell you what new content needs to be translated.

You can look at how the Chinese translation was done here (although most of the discussion is in Chinese also):

GitHub - SwiftGGTeam/the-swift-programming-language-in-chinese: 中文版 Apple 官方 Swift 教程《The Swift Programming Language》

This past swift-dev thread might also be helpful:

[swift-dev] Putting Swift Programming Language Book under Git version control

-- Alex